Old 03-09-2009, 07:05 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Default Memory vs. Display Card

If the motherboard supports dual-channel configs, one might want to take care
how one distributes the different mem-sticks in the banks. Eg the 2GB-sticks
in bank 1 and 3 and the 4GB-sticks in banks 2 and 4.

YMMV.
--
/Sorin

Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Rick

In article <f4e013870903082220s772af2d7o22c9686d6f1347e9@mail .gmail.com>,
MHR <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>2) Your answer above was not clear: did the 4GB work by itself without
>the other 2GB? If so, the above is your problem. If not, you're in
>deeper guano that you think, BUT:

The 4GB had the same problem with and without the 2GB.

>Also, by "running in 64-bit mode" (previous reply), do you mean that
>your are running the 32-bit PAE kernel or the x86_64 kernel?

It's x86_64.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Rick

In article <12768.4492654682$1236586039@news.gmane.org>,
Sorin Srbu <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>If the motherboard supports dual-channel configs, one might want to take care
>how one distributes the different mem-sticks in the banks. Eg the 2GB-sticks
>in bank 1 and 3 and the 4GB-sticks in banks 2 and 4.

Well, yeah, of course. But even if I got that wrong, the 4GB alone did not
work in the same slots the 2GB sticks were in.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Morten Torstensen

On 09.03.2009 11:09, Rick wrote:
> Well, yeah, of course. But even if I got that wrong, the 4GB alone did not
> work in the same slots the 2GB sticks were in.

So, either the memory sticks are bad (one or two of them), or the memory
have bad timing in some way making them not compatible with the mobo.

--

//Morten

Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Well, in that case you may be SOL. 8-/
--
/Sorin

Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

That reminds me; some mobos have a default fail-safe settings option with
timings and stuff using very conservative numbers. If you haven't already
tried that, you might want to give that one a go as well.

NB! This default setting is usually not optimal ("turbo"), but rather settles
for stability. A working baseline kinda' thing, if you know what I mean.

If this doesn't work either, you're mem-sticks are as most here have pointed
out, bad in some way.
--
/Sorin

Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 12:14 +0100, Morten Torstensen wrote:
> On 09.03.2009 11:09, Rick wrote:
> > Well, yeah, of course. But even if I got that wrong, the 4GB alone did not
> > work in the same slots the 2GB sticks were in.
>
> So, either the memory sticks are bad (one or two of them), or the memory
> have bad timing in some way making them not compatible with the mobo.

I have to jump in here. A few months back, I tried replace some memory
sticks with much larger ones. No go. But the specs said they should be
compatible. After puttzing around with all sorts of things, I decided
the only thing left was the voltage settings for the sticks. More memory
has a greater draw. Not wanting to void the warranty, I didn't dink with
it on my own. I carried the unit to my local dealer and said you do it
if you think it is safe.

Bumped the voltage a couple tenths and all worked. The reason is
obvious. Why the "auto" setting didn't work, I can't say. Have been
running successfully for many months now.

So, if you've got the leeway, try manually bumping the voltage for the
unit a couple of tenths. Risk is low, but it is there.

HTH
--
Bill

Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
John R Pierce

Rick wrote:
> In article <f4e013870903082220s772af2d7o22c9686d6f1347e9@mail .gmail.com>,
> MHR <centos@centos.org> wrote:
>

>> 2) Your answer above was not clear: did the 4GB work by itself without
>> the other 2GB? If so, the above is your problem. If not, you're in
>> deeper guano that you think, BUT:
>>

> The 4GB had the same problem with and without the 2GB.

ok, then you have the wrong 4GB (2x2GB?) sticks. You might review the
memory specs for your motherboard, not all DDR2 is the same.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx/sb/CS-026567.htm

specifically, you need 1.8-1.9V DDR2 unbuffered DIMMs, requires SPD, 667
and 533Mhz. 2GB dimms must be organized as 8 128Mx8 dimms on each side.

personally, I'd pick my ram from this page
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D975XBX

the stuff you buy through their guaranteed compatability program WILL work.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
John R Pierce

William L. Maltby wrote:
> So, if you've got the leeway, try manually bumping the voltage for the
> unit a couple of tenths. Risk is low, but it is there.

The OP said earlier he has an Intel D975XBX motherboard. Intel boards
are very conservatively engineered, and don't have tweaks for
overclocking, out of spec memory voltages, or any of the rest of that.
They just work, if the parts meet their spec. If the parts don't meet
the spec, then all bets are off.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Bill Campbell

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009, John R Pierce wrote:
>ok, then you have the wrong 4GB (2x2GB?) sticks. You might review the
>memory specs for your motherboard, not all DDR2 is the same.
>http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx/sb/CS-026567.htm

I usually go to the Kingston site to find the proper memory for
specific main boards, and get most of our RAM from newegg.com.

http://www.kingston.com

http://www.newegg.com

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

There has been no greater threat to life, liberty, and property
throughout the ages than government. Even the most violent and brutal
private individuals have been able to inflict only a mere fraction of
the harm and destruction that have been caused by the use of power by
political authorities. -- Richard Ebeling