-   -   hplip problems - configu error: "cannot find libjpeg support" (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/258333-hplip-problems-configu-error-cannot-find-libjpeg-support.html)

Robert 03-06-2009 05:01 PM

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm trying to get hplip-2.7.12 installed, and I'm reasonably sure that I had
> it installed on this box before my problems last month. Anyway, it will not
> build at the moment. It stops the Configure with "configure: error: "cannot
> find libjpeg support". However,
>
> Package libjpeg - 6b-37.i386 is already installed.
>
> Similarly, attempting to install hplip-3.9.2 stops with
>
> warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb
>
> but
>
> Package libusb - 0.1.12-5.1.i386 is already installed.
>
> Version 2.7.12 is the earliest version to support my printer. I'm fairly
> sure I had it installed on this box before my problems last month, and I'm
> fairly sure that it also was installed on FC6 some time back. Either of
> these versions would be fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Anne

I confess to not following this thread closely and this is not a direct
answer to your question but this combination works for me:

# yum list hplip libusb libjpeg libusb-devel libjpeg-devel

<snip>

Installed Packages
hplip.i386 1.6.7-4.1.el5.4
installed
libjpeg.i386 6b-37
installed
libjpeg-devel.i386 6b-37
installed
libusb.i386 0.1.12-5.1
installed
libusb-devel.i386 0.1.12-5.1
installed

All from CentOS repos. Good luck in getting your machine back to
the point that it "feels" like yours!

Roger Wells 03-12-2009 02:59 PM

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 14:45:27 Roger Wells wrote:
>
>> I actually did install the home printer last night (Photosmart C6180).
>> "hp-setup' ran fine, discovered the printer and installed it just as it
>> did for the LJ4350 (it didn't find the correct PPD file but...).
>> The good news is that even though hp-toolbox won't run the Centos
>> Scanner Tool works.
>> It discovered the scanner correctly and I was able to operate with it as
>> expected. The scanner is also available within appropriate applications
>> such as OpenOffice and the Gimp.
>>
>> So maybe we don't need hp-toolbox so much after all.
>>

> Glad you got it working, Roger. I knew I wouldn't have time to have another
> go at this until tomorrow. So did you use the 3.9.2 version? Anything to
> report about the actual installation?

yes the hplip version is 3.9.2. First I removed the installed version
which was 1.6.7, I think. Then I followed the
directions at:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/centos.html

This went well but the "hp-check" near the end indicated two or three
errors that would show up at run-time were
present. These are some of what we have been discussing in this thread
and are apparently the ones that will prevent
"hp-toolbox" from running. They do not apparently affect "hp-setup".
.
Run hp-setup as root (the only way) and it should find your printers.
For each of mine a warning was issued:

error: No PPD found for model laserjet_4350. Trying old algorithm...

In the case of the C6180 this resulted in all printing going to 4x6 inch
pages to a printer that only had photograph
page size options. When offered to search for PPD files during
installation you can take that route and search
in /usr/share/ppd/HP for a more appropriate driver. Why "hp-setup"
doesn't find drivers there I don't know.
I had to select the one with the ".gz" extension to avoid an error about
a missing "foomatic-rip-hplip" something
or other. You can apparently do this "PPD" changeover after installation.

I did that with the C6180. If it still insists on printing in a 4x6
format I will report back.

As I said earlier the Centos 5.2 Scanner Tool seems to work just fine.

HTH,
roger

> Anne

Roger Wells, P.E.