Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default Centos 5.1, mythtv, saa7134_dvb?

On Dec 31, 2007 6:04 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> >> I'm trying to set up my Centos 5.1 box at home to run mythtv.
> >>
> >> The DVB-T card requires saa7134 and saa7134_dvb.
> >>
> >> These are not in the Centos kernels.
> >>
> >> Centosplus has saa7134, but not saa7134_dvb.
> >>
> >> Do I have to compile the kernel myself, or is there a trick?
> >>
> >> Mogens
> >
> > I thought I enabled everything that was there in relation to dvb in the
> > latest CentOSPlus kernel for 5.1.
> >
> > If there is something in that kernel that I can turn on without patches
> > and you find it, if you tell me what it is I will enable it in the next
> > build of the centosplus kernel. That does not help you in this
> > instance, but it might in the future.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I'll try rebuilding the centosplus kernel and enabling the modules
> necessary.
>
> Is it possible to build just the modules, or do I have to
> build everything?

I do not know the answer but you can try building the module first -
much faster than building the whole kernel anyway. I also suggest
filing a request at bugs.centos.org. This will help remind Johnny
when he does centosplus for the next release.

Akemi

Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Mogens Kjaer

Akemi Yagi wrote:

I do not know the answer but you can try building the module first -
much faster than building the whole kernel anyway. I also suggest
filing a request at bugs.centos.org. This will help remind Johnny
when he does centosplus for the next release.

Alas, the saa7134 in 2.6.18 is too old for my card :-(

The driver in 2.6.18 supports card numbered 1 to 95.

My card (medion) has number 96 :-(

Putting saa7134 from a 2.6.23 kernel into 2.6.18 doesn't work.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Old 01-01-2008, 12:15 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Jan 1, 2008 4:44 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:

> Alas, the saa7134 in 2.6.18 is too old for my card :-(
> The driver in 2.6.18 supports card numbered 1 to 95.
> My card (medion) has number 96 :-(
>
> Putting saa7134 from a 2.6.23 kernel into 2.6.18 doesn't work.

Oh, this is unfortunate. In that case, the "easiest" way to get your
card to work may be to use the 2.6.23 kernel. Of course, you'd have
to take care of security fixes etc yourself...

Akemi

Old 01-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Mogens Kjaer

Akemi Yagi wrote:

Alas, the saa7134 in 2.6.18 is too old for my card :-(
The driver in 2.6.18 supports card numbered 1 to 95.
My card (medion) has number 96 :-(

Putting saa7134 from a 2.6.23 kernel into 2.6.18 doesn't work.

Oh, this is unfortunate. In that case, the "easiest" way to get your
card to work may be to use the 2.6.23 kernel. Of course, you'd have
to take care of security fixes etc yourself...

Is there anything special I have to do to use a vanilla kernel
on a Centos 5.1 machine? Nothing special hardware (except for
the TV card), /boot and / on software RAID 1.

The centos 2.6.18 kernel is build with 1084 (!) patches,
I assume they are there for a reason.

I stopped doing kernel compilations around RedHat 9...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Johnny Hughes

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Jan 1, 2008 4:44 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@crc.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> Alas, the saa7134 in 2.6.18 is too old for my card :-(
>>> The driver in 2.6.18 supports card numbered 1 to 95.
>>> My card (medion) has number 96 :-(
>>>
>>> Putting saa7134 from a 2.6.23 kernel into 2.6.18 doesn't work.
>>
>> Oh, this is unfortunate. In that case, the "easiest" way to get your
>> card to work may be to use the 2.6.23 kernel. Of course, you'd have
>> to take care of security fixes etc yourself...
>
> Is there anything special I have to do to use a vanilla kernel
> on a Centos 5.1 machine? Nothing special hardware (except for
> the TV card), /boot and / on software RAID 1.
>
> The centos 2.6.18 kernel is build with 1084 (!) patches,
> I assume they are there for a reason.
>
> I stopped doing kernel compilations around RedHat 9...

Hmm ... I would try to use a newer Fedora kernel SRPM that meets the
requirements.

Or maybe even just use MythDora for this machine as it is specifically
designed for mythtv boxes.