Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Scott Ehrlich

Default Help with full and incremental dumps

I have an Overland Arcvault 12 library with a full LTO3 magazine of 400/800 GB
tapes. It is connected directly to the fileserver via a SCSI card/cable.

The two main directories I want to back up are /var/log, which is on one
filesystem, and /home, which is on another.

There are _currently_ no databases to worry about, but there may be active
users logged in and active jobs running. We'll just take our chances with what
can be backed up.

I've successfully run dump/restore to an external USB 1 TB hard drive as our
backup device until the tape library arrived. Now, finding the appropriate
dump and restore commands to throw into a script is the fun part. The first
time will obviously produce a full backup of said directories to back up.
Subsequent ones will be incremental.

What should my dump lines look like for both full and subsequent
incrementals? And, to test the backup and in case I need to retrieve a
file, what should a respective restore line look like?

Thanks much.

Scott

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 AM
John R Pierce

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
What should my dump lines look like for both full and subsequent
incrementals? And, to test the backup and in case I need to retrieve a
file, what should a respective restore line look like?

I dunno, but `man dump` and `man restore` should tell you about all you
need to know.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Chris Mauritz

John R Pierce wrote:

I dunno, but `man dump` and `man restore` should tell you about all
you need to know.

There's a joke in there somewhere....