Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Ray Van Dolson

Default VIA C3 support for CentOS 5? (i586 kernel)

Hi all. Decided to upgrade an old Slackware 10 box I had. The box is
running a VIA C3 processor and apparently doesn't support the cmov
extension that most i686 processors do. As a result I cannot install
CentOS 5.

I discovered a few posts from way back in April:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-April/079352.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-April/079439.html

Implying that an i586 version of the installer might be released.

Was something along those lines ever done, or could it still be done?
Or should I just stick with CentOS 4 for the time being?

(I did try 'i586 text' on my netboot 5.1 CD)

Thanks,
Ray

Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 04:47:01PM -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Hi all. Decided to upgrade an old Slackware 10 box I had. The box is
> running a VIA C3 processor and apparently doesn't support the cmov
> extension that most i686 processors do. As a result I cannot install
> CentOS 5.

It appears there's a bug filed on this already:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1836

As well as a Wiki page:

http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/CentOS5PentiumSupport

Ray