Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
"David Levinger"

Default nForce 630i Chipset, unable to get integrated nic working

Hello everyone,

I've also posted this onto the Network support forums but figured I'd shoot it to the mailing list as well.

I recently purchased a ECS GF7100PVT-M motherboard and now I'm wishing
I'd investigated driver support a little better before I did! I was
able to get Centos 5.1 XEN Kernel installed but have been having a
helluva time getting the on board NIC going. The MB is running a nForce
630i chipset and has the nic card listed as a Realtek 8111B. I've
downloaded what I believe to be the latest Realtek drivers and if I do
an lsmod I can see the r8168 module present. I've tried adding the line
alias eth0 r8168 to my /etc/modprobe.conf file but it hasn't gotten me
anywhere, I've also tried with Nvidia's forcedeth module to no avail.

Does
anyone have some ideas of what I could try next? Do I need a newer
version of the forcedeth driver? Is this chipset not going to work with
Centos 5.1? Is it a Xen related issue?
lspci shows "Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07dc (rev a2)"

Any thoughts/pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

David Levinger wrote on Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:30:34 -0800:

> I've also tried with Nvidia's forcedeth module to no avail.

This driver is not from Nvidia! It's a back-engineered driver and doesn't
necessarily support the latest hardware. Check the Nvidia site (not the
Realtek site!) for the latest Linux drivers. You will have to recompile
the kernel module with each updated kernel.

> Do I need a newer version of the forcedeth driver?

You could check their website if the latest version supports what the
current Centos 5 version doesn't (yet).

Read the thread from Dec. 28 starting with MID
<1779.10.1.1.17.1198860842.squirrel@www.arcoscom >?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
"David Levinger"

Hey Kai,

I tried downloading the latest driver's from NVidia's site here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.23/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.23.zip

However, the RPMs that are provided are compiled for a specific kernel and don't work with the latest Centos 5.1 kernel. They also provide a .c file for compile but no makefile. I'm going to try and figure that out.

Fedora 8, however, works right out of the box, and detects everything, except if you want to run Xen (which I do) and then the nic is once again not detected. I'll post more when I figure out more.

Thanks,

david

On Dec 30, 2007 7:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

David Levinger wrote on Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:30:34 -0800:

> I've also tried with Nvidia's forcedeth module to no avail.

This driver is not from Nvidia! It's a back-engineered driver and doesn't

necessarily support the latest hardware. Check the Nvidia site (not the
Realtek site!) for the latest Linux drivers. You will have to recompile
the kernel module with each updated kernel.

> Do I need a newer version of the forcedeth driver?

You could check their website if the latest version supports what the
current Centos 5 version doesn't (yet).

Read the thread from Dec. 28 starting with MID

<1779.10.1.1.17.1198860842.squirrel@www.arcoscom >?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services:
http://www.conactive.com

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 PM
"Laurentiu Coica"

On Jan 2, 2008 10:21 PM, David Levinger <iskondi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Kai,
>
> I tried downloading the latest driver's from NVidia's site here:
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.23/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.23.zip
> However, the RPMs that are provided are compiled for a specific kernel and
> don't work with the latest Centos 5.1 kernel. They also provide a .c file
> for compile but no makefile. I'm going to try and figure that out.

Hi all,
Try to use something like:

$ cat ./NV_Linux_DRV_PKG_v1.23/RHEL5/source/Makefile
obj-m := forcedeth.o sata_nv.o

KDIR := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD := $(shell pwd)

default:
$(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

Laurentiu Coica

Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

David Levinger wrote on Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:21:46 -0800:

> I tried downloading the latest driver's from NVidia's site here:
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.23/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.23.zip
> However, the RPMs that are provided are compiled for a specific kernel and
> don't work with the latest Centos 5.1 kernel.

After some looking around I found this page
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.23.html
and assume that's where you found this file.
Last year they still provided their own proprietary drivers in those *.run
files you find here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.07.html
It seems these contain only the display drivers now. :-( and forcedeth is now
the "official" driver.
I see that the provided kernel module is supposed to support RHEL 5.0, so I
guess you just need to wait a bit until they release a version for 5.1.
There's also an external discussion forum at nvnews.net

> They also provide a .c file
> > for compile but no makefile. I'm going to try and figure that out.

Well, tried just compiling directly with gcc?

> Fedora 8, however, works right out of the box,

of course. You *do* know the difference between CentOS/RHEL and Fedora?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
"David Levinger"

I haven't tried compiling directly with gcc, mostly because I don't know the right way to go about it, although a co-worker of mine is going to try and help me out with that tomorrow. (Going to bring the system into work). I know that Fedora 8 is much more the bleeding edge and assumed it would have more support for newer hardware, hence why I tried it.

I only have basic understandings of the differences between the versions but I think it is something like this:

RHEL - Version sold by Redhat, not the latest and greatest but solid
Centos - Same as above by re-released GNU Public License style

Fedora - Much more bleeding edge, but updated quite frequently

Please feel free to let me know more if there are more specific differences that might aid my understandings :-)

I appreciate all the feedback guys!

Also, Laurentiu Coica, when I try and run make against the Makefile example that you sent over it says there is "nothing to do for default" but I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. I'm going to bring the system into work tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to get farther with the aid of my coworking being able to see what it is that I'm doing wrong. I'd much prefer to figure out what I need to do to get Centos
5.1 functional then go with Fedora 8, but we'll see how far I get.

Once again, thanks to both of you and everyone else that took the time to read, I'm learning a lot :-)

David

Laurentiu Coica

On Jan 2, 2008 1:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com

There's also an external discussion forum at nvnews.net

Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Kai Schaetzl

David Levinger wrote on Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:47:47 -0800:

> Please feel free to let me know more if there are more specific differences
that might aid my understandings :-)

That's quite correct, just wanted to make sure you understood the differences
;-)

> Also, Laurentiu Coica, when I try and run make against the Makefile example
that you sent over it says there is "nothing to do for default"

Did you read the README.TXT? I just downloaded the zip and had a look at the
content. The README.TXT tells me 1. that the driver doesn't seem to support your
chipset and 2. explains how to compile (at the end of the file). Because of no.
1 I guess your best bet is going to that forum and get help from there.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 PM
"David Levinger"

Hey Kai,

I did read the README.txt file and at the end it does indeed talk about compiling the file, and if I knew enough about how all of this works it might have made more sense... What it says is, "For forcedeth.ko
, just copy the forcedeth.c and Makefile to the same directory then make it." However there was no Makefile included... so that pretty much ended up stopping me in my tracks there.

And I agree that it didn't /seem/ to support my Chipset, but the Realtek Driver which should support it doesn't seem to work either, and on Fedora 8 it is using a newer version of the forcedeth driver so I figured I'd give it a go. I have a feeling I'm going to end up returning this board for a Intel based Chipset and see if I have better luck with that.

Thanks for all your assistance, I truly appreciate it.

David

Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Kai Schaetzl

David Levinger wrote on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:29:13 -0800:

> I did read the README.txt file and at the end it does indeed talk about
> compiling the file, and if I knew enough about how all of this works it
> might have made more sense... What it says is, "For forcedeth.ko, just copy
> the forcedeth.c and Makefile to the same directory then make it." However
> there was no Makefile included...

but there is one!
> NV_Linux_DRV_PKG_v1.23/RHEL5/source/Makefile
as mentioned by Laurentiu. Copy that in the directory where forcedeth.c
resides (or do it the other way around or copy both in a new directory).

> And I agree that it didn't /seem/ to support my Chipset, but the Realtek
> Driver which should support it doesn't seem to work either, and on Fedora 8
> it is using a newer version of the forcedeth driver so I figured I'd give it
> a go.

That driver is from March or so. I really doubt it supports your chipset. But
if I were in the same situation I'd probably try, anyway, yes ;-)

I have a feeling I'm going to end up returning this board for a Intel
> based Chipset and see if I have better luck with that.

Did you try that nvnews.net forum yet? Maybe it's really that you need a
Realtek driver and just somehow got the wrong one. They should know.

Good luck.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany