Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Julio Rodanes - KNET

Default CentOS 5.2 and SATA HotSwap

Hello, I have a server Â*Supermicro
5015B-MT with ICH9R chipset, disk SATAII and Centos Â*5.2

I have read that the AHCI module allows
hotplug but when I add a hot new SATA disk, the system don’t detects it .

Any idea of what the problem is?

Â*

Thanks.

Julio Rodanés Martinez
SISTEMAS DE COMUNICACIÓN

Avda. Club Deportivo, 55
26007 Logroño (La Rioja)
T. 902 44 90 90 F. 941 51 93 92
www.knet.es

PolÃ*tica de privacidad

Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Laurent Wandrebeck

2009/2/18 Julio Rodanes - KNET <julio@knet.es>:
> Hello, I have a server Supermicro 5015B-MT with ICH9R chipset, disk SATAII
> and Centos 5.2
>
> I have read that the AHCI module allows hotplug but when I add a hot new
> SATA disk, the system don't detects it .
>
> Any idea of what the problem is?
Is your sata controller configured as ahci in bios ?
You can check lsmod output to see which modules are loaded.
Laurent

Old 02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Julio Rodanes - KNET

Yes, AHCI is configured en BIOS.

uname -a
2.6.18-92.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 19:22:41 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

lsmod

Module Size Used by
autofs4 24389 2
hidp 23105 2
rfcomm 42457 0
l2cap 29505 10 hidp,rfcomm
bluetooth 53797 5 hidp,rfcomm,l2cap
sunrpc 144893 1
ipt_REJECT 9537 0
ip6t_REJECT 9409 0
xt_tcpudp 7105 0
x_tables 17349 3 ipt_REJECT,ip6t_REJECT,xt_tcpudp
ipv6 258273 23 ip6t_REJECT
xfrm_nalgo 13765 1 ipv6
crypto_api 11969 1 xfrm_nalgo
cpufreq_ondemand 12493 4
dm_mirror 29253 0
dm_multipath 22089 0
dm_mod 61661 2 dm_mirror,dm_multipath
video 21193 0
sbs 18533 0
backlight 10049 1 video
i2c_ec 9025 1 sbs
button 10705 0
battery 13637 0
asus_acpi 19289 0
ac 9157 0
lp 15849 0
parport_pc 29157 1
i2c_i801 11597 0
parport 37513 2 lp,parport_pc
i2c_core 23745 2 i2c_ec,i2c_i801
e1000e 92929 0
serio_raw 10693 0
floppy 57125 0
pcspkr 7105 0
sg 36060 0
ahci 30149 8
libata 144125 1 ahci
sd_mod 24897 10
scsi_mod 134605 3 sg,libata,sd_mod
raid1 25153 3
ext3 123593 3
jbd 56553 1 ext3
uhci_hcd 25549 0
ohci_hcd 23389 0
ehci_hcd 33613 0

lspci -v

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Unknown device d180
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 58
I/O ports at 1c50 [size=8]
I/O ports at 1c44 [size=4]
I/O ports at 1c48 [size=8]
I/O ports at 1c40 [size=4]
I/O ports at 18e0 [size=32]
Memory at d8601000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit- Queue=0/4 Enable+
Capabilities: [a8] #12 [0010]
Capabilities: [b0] #13 [0306]

Julio Rodanés Martinez
SISTEMAS DE COMUNICACIÓN
Avda. Club Deportivo, 55
26007 Logroño (La Rioja)
T. 902 44 90 90 F. 941 51 93 92
http://www.knet.es/
http://www.knet.es/mail/politica_privacidad.htm

Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Filipe Brandenburger

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:57, Julio Rodanes - KNET <julio@knet.es> wrote:
> I have read that the AHCI module allows hotplug but when I add a hot new
> SATA disk, the system don't detects it .
>
> Any idea of what the problem is?

Even though it's hotplug, you have to give Linux a command so that it
will scan the bus and add the disks to its internal tables.

To do that, first you have to identify which SCSI host it will be your
SATA controller, you can see a list of the ones you have with this
command:

ls /sys/class/scsi_host/

To identify which one is your SATA, look in /proc/scsi/scsi, for
instance, if it's scsi4 there, it will be host4 in /sys. You can also
look at dmesg or /var/log/dmesg and see the messages of when your
other disks were detected, it will show it with names as scsiX or sd
X:0:0:0. Also grep for ahci in dmesg, it might give you a clue. You
might have multiple hosts in one AHCI controller, you might have to
figure out which one your disk is connected, or scan all of them.

Once you found which host it is, issue the following command as root:

echo - - - >/sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan

I wrote "hostX" above, but you have to use the proper number, like
"host4" if your SATA is scsi4.

This should work. Let us know how that goes.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Bill Campbell

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:57, Julio Rodanes - KNET <julio@knet.es> wrote:
>> I have read that the AHCI module allows hotplug but when I add a hot new
>> SATA disk, the system don't detects it .
>>
>> Any idea of what the problem is?
>
>Even though it's hotplug, you have to give Linux a command so that it
>will scan the bus and add the disks to its internal tables.

Good stuff deleted...

Doing a google search on ``ahci linux' had this at the top of
the list. Is this the best place to look for hardware
compatibility?

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html

According to this there are no Adaptec SATA devices with ahci
capabilities. I am interested because we have a box with a
Supermicro X5DPL-TGM main board with on-board Adaptec AIC-8120
that I would like to be able to hot-swap.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. Most jump
up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if
nothing had happened. - Sir Winston Churchill