Old 12-29-2007, 08:19 PM
"Jim Perrin"

Default Cent os 4 .htaccess file not working mod_rewrite enable - how can I test "help"

On Dec 29, 2007 12:48 PM, sgoldman <sgoldman@mit.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> Spend hours attempting to password protect a web directory-
>
> mod_rewrite enabled on httpd.conf file. Seek ideas please

By default htaccess files are not allowed in the httpd.conf file. You
have to enable them with the AllowOverride option.

George Orwell

Old 12-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Jim Perrin wrote on Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:19:37 -0500:

> By default htaccess files are not allowed in the httpd.conf file.

And you don't even need them, you can just use the same directives in the
configuration which has the advantage that Apache doesn't have to probe
for this file each time it fulfills a request.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Dec 30, 2007 10:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote on Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:19:37 -0500:
>
> > By default htaccess files are not allowed in the httpd.conf file.
>
> And you don't even need them, you can just use the same directives in the
> configuration which has the advantage that Apache doesn't have to probe
> for this file each time it fulfills a request.

Indeed. This is actually a performance tuning piece for apache, and
the first in their 'when not to use' section for htaccess.

Documentation for this is available here to those who are interested
-> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/htaccess.html#when

George Orwell