Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default xen dependencies

It appears that if I perform an install of CentOS 5.1 without changing *anything* in the options, then do a #yum groupinstall 'Virtualization' I can now get Xen to function in bridged mode (it has network connectivity). In lieu of this, can anyone shed some light on what dependency Xen has that is not installed when you do a completely bare install and execute a #yum install xen? I am hoping to finally end up with a minimum install of CentOS with Xen functioning without a gui or any additional services that won't be needed.

Thanks!
jlc

Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Centos

Just install xen en kernel-xen. That should be sufficient. Possibly you
can add virsh,if it's not allready there.

Groupinstall virtualization also installs the GUI-tools (and possibly
also a GUI).

Cheers,

Bart

Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Just install xen en kernel-xen. That should be sufficient. Possibly you
>can add virsh,if it's not allready there.
>
>Groupinstall virtualization also installs the GUI-tools (and possibly
>also a GUI).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bart

Yes, I follow this exact suggestion and can repeatedly produce the same results where once booted into the Xen kernel, I have no network access unless I switch to routed mode in the sxp file.

Thanks.
jlc

Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Karanbir Singh

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 07:49:37 -0700
> >Groupinstall virtualization also installs the GUI-tools (and possibly
> >also a GUI).

This sort of a question really should goto the CentOS-Virt list.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Raghavendra Moktali

Karanbir Singh wrote:

This sort of a question really should goto the CentOS-Virt list.

<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16>
Google "CentOS-Virt" found it for me .
maybe the page needs to be updated?
thanks.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Karanbir Singh

Raghavendra Moktali wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

This sort of a question really should goto the CentOS-Virt list.

<http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16>
Google "CentOS-Virt" found it for me .
maybe the page needs to be updated?
thanks.

so perhaps that page on www.centos.org needs to be removed with a link
to the wiki page instead.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 23:03 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> It appears that if I perform an install of CentOS 5.1 without changing *anything* in the options, then do a #yum groupinstall 'Virtualization' I can now get Xen to function in bridged mode (it has network connectivity). In lieu of this, can anyone shed some light on what dependency Xen has that is not installed when you do a completely bare install and execute a #yum install xen? I am hoping to finally end up with a minimum install of CentOS with Xen functioning without a gui or any additional services that won't be needed.
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

In your "broken" setup, do you have libvirt and/or bridge-utils?

--Tim
/ Wait! You have not been prepared!
-- Mr. Atoz, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate 3113.2 /

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>In your "broken" setup, do you have libvirt and/or bridge-utils?
>

>--Tim

Tim,
Yes it does. I think I am seeing the issue reported in a previous errata regarding Bugzilla Bug 237667 in RHEL for a now released fix in the current Xen rpm available. I have this exact behavior, and after many different installs on different machines, I finally saw a clean install done exactly the same work once and fail another.

I emailed the assigned tech at rh about the bug and never heard back...

Thanks,
jlc