Old 12-29-2007, 02:08 AM
"James A. Peltier"

Default OpenMPI not compiled with Torque support

The OpenMPI package that ships with CentOS 5.1 does not seem to be
compiled with torque support. It does, however, seem to be compiled
with gridengine and slurm support. Would it be possible to get this
changed?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:09 AM
Johnny Hughes

James A. Peltier wrote:
> The OpenMPI package that ships with CentOS 5.1 does not seem to be
> compiled with torque support. It does, however, seem to be compiled
> with gridengine and slurm support. Would it be possible to get this
> changed?

Unfortunately we compile with exactly the same options as upstream to be
compatible ... so the only way to get it in base centos that way is to
convince the upstream people to add it.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:23 AM
"James A. Peltier"

Johnny Hughes wrote:

James A. Peltier wrote:

The OpenMPI package that ships with CentOS 5.1 does not seem to be
compiled with torque support. It does, however, seem to be compiled
with gridengine and slurm support. Would it be possible to get this
changed?

Unfortunately we compile with exactly the same options as upstream to be
compatible ... so the only way to get it in base centos that way is to
convince the upstream people to add it.

How do others deal with this issue. It seems that you can't file a bug
report with upstream unless you have a support contract? Am I missing
something.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:33 AM
"nate"

James A. Peltier wrote:

> How do others deal with this issue. It seems that you can't file a bug
> report with upstream unless you have a support contract? Am I missing
> something.

While I don't use OpenMPI, I do compile quite a few source rpms and
distribute them to my systems. It probably wouldn't be hard to build
rpms from the SRPMS with the option your looking for. Probably would
want to adjust the version so it's high enough that yum will never
replace it. In Debian you can put a package on 'hold' so it won't
get updated, I haven't found an equivalent in RPM/yum.

Probably not worth filing a bug with Red Hat, they won't do anything
with it likely until RHEL 6. By then they may decide to include it
anyways(not knowing what OpenMPI or Torque support is off the top of
my head I don't know how likely this would be).

nate

Old 12-29-2007, 05:38 AM
"James A. Peltier"

nate wrote:

While I don't use OpenMPI, I do compile quite a few source rpms and
distribute them to my systems. It probably wouldn't be hard to build
rpms from the SRPMS with the option your looking for. Probably would
want to adjust the version so it's high enough that yum will never
replace it. In Debian you can put a package on 'hold' so it won't
get updated, I haven't found an equivalent in RPM/yum.

Probably not worth filing a bug with Red Hat, they won't do anything
with it likely until RHEL 6. By then they may decide to include it
anyways(not knowing what OpenMPI or Torque support is off the top of
my head I don't know how likely this would be).

nate

I am working on this now, however, it was just "odd" that SLURM and SGE
support was compiled but not Torque. Neither SGE nor SLURM are
available as part of base or updates, so I wondered why they were
included and not Torque.

BTW: OpenMPI is a library used for writing parallel programs using the
quite popular Message Passing Interface (MPI). Torque is used for batch
scheduling said MPI jobs, or any job for that matter.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 22:23 -0800, James A. Peltier wrote:
> How do others deal with this issue. It seems that you can't file a bug
> report with upstream unless you have a support contract? Am I missing
> something.

You can *file* them, just don't expect a timely resolution unless you
have a contract with RH (and sometimes not even then).

Old 12-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Garrick Staples

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 11:09:25PM -0600, Johnny Hughes alleged:
> James A. Peltier wrote:
> > The OpenMPI package that ships with CentOS 5.1 does not seem to be
> > compiled with torque support. It does, however, seem to be compiled
> > with gridengine and slurm support. Would it be possible to get this
> > changed?
>
> Unfortunately we compile with exactly the same options as upstream to be
> compatible ... so the only way to get it in base centos that way is to
> convince the upstream people to add it.

Hi, I'm the torque maintainer.

Before the Fedora core+extras merge, torque was in extras and openmpi was in
core; making torque support in openmpi impossible.

Now, Fedora 8 and newer have openmpi built with torque support.

I assume RHEL6 will inherit this.