Old 02-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Jake

Default Consistent .bashrc, .bash_profile, and .aliases across all machines

> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:32:53PM -0600, Sean Carolan wrote:
>> What do you use to keep your environment files like .bashrc,
>> .bash_profile, etc. synchronized across all your servers?

Our user accounts are created by running a script on an LDAP server
that sets up the account in LDAP and creates the home directory on an
NFS share. In this way, /etc/skel, etc. is maintained on the ldap
server and nowhere else.

--
Jake Paulus
JakePaulus@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Jake

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Per Qvindesland <per@norhex.com> wrote:
> Hi Jake
>
> Appologies but I am wondering if you could give me a sample of that script,
> I am currently busy with setting up something similar where I work and it
> would be greate to perhaps get some new ideas.

I'm afraid I don't have permission to distribute the script. The
relevant function is that it copies /etc/skel/.* to the user's home
directory and then does chown -R user:user on the directory. All of
our machines have a /mnt/home and the user's home directory is always
set to /mnt/home/user. This would work whether your accounts are in
LDAP or anywhere else.

--
Jake Paulus
JakePaulus@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Jake

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Per Qvindesland <per@norhex.com> wrote:
> the only problem that I can see is how to script adding users into a
> ldap database in a simple way.

The perl script we use basically takes a templated ldif file, replaces
values with those supplied as arguments when the script is ran, and
creates a new tmp ldif file that gets imported via ldapadd into the
directory. There are extra steps to create the home directory as I
mentioned.

--
Jake Paulus
JakePaulus@gmail.com