Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Default rpmforge

I have not been able to connect to rpmforge for a couple of days
Is it me or is there a problem with the repository

Richard

Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:46 -0600, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> I have not been able to connect to rpmforge for a couple of days
> Is it me or is there a problem with the repository

You'll probably get a better response, as well as a fix if there is a
problem, by posting to that list rather than here.

--
Bill

Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
"Mail List"

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:26:28 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote
> On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:46 -0600, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> > I have not been able to connect to rpmforge for a couple of days

> You'll probably get a better response, as well as a fix if there is a
> problem, by posting to that list rather than here.
>

> > Richard
> > <snip>
>
> --
> Bill

What part of the first Line he posted you not understand Bill?

Richard I to have been having issues, but have no idea as to why.

--
Brian
http://wx.Tatorz.com

believed to be clean.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
John R Pierce

William L. Maltby wrote:
> You'll probably get a better response, as well as a fix if there is a
> problem, by posting to that list rather than here.

you mean the list you can't find since the rpmforge website is
apparently down?

luckily, google had a cached entry for it. i signed up for the
users@lists.rpmforge mail list, which apparently has just a few messages
a week judging from the archives.

fyi, it appears rpmforge.net is redirecting to rpmrepo.org who's DNS is
erratic, when it works, it in turn seems to land on www.com.net which
disavows any knowledge.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 19:22 -0500, Mail List wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:26:28 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote
> > On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:46 -0600, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> > > I have not been able to connect to rpmforge for a couple of days
>

> > You'll probably get a better response, as well as a fix if there is a
> > problem, by posting to that list rather than here.
> >

> > > Richard
> > > <snip>
> >
> > --
> > Bill
>
> What part of the first Line he posted you not understand Bill?

"I have not been able to connect to rpmforge for a couple of days"

This one I guess. I understood that he could not connect to the web

I just this moment fired up a mail retrieval from
users-bounces@lists.rpmforge.net
and received two messages.

Now, maybe the web site is down or not, but mail is apparently working
at this time. Further, over the last few days, I regularly fetch mail,
if any is available, from that address.

If there is more that I did not understand, please enlighten me.

If the OP had stated that _mail_ was not working, I would have noticed
that.

--
Bill

Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 17:39 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > You'll probably get a better response, as well as a fix if there is a
> > problem, by posting to that list rather than here.
> >

> you mean the list you can't find since the rpmforge website is
> apparently down?

See my other reply.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 08:00 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 17:39 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> > William L. Maltby wrote:
> > > You'll probably get a better response, as well as a fix if there is a
> > > problem, by posting to that list rather than here.
> > >

> > you mean the list you can't find since the rpmforge website is
> > apparently down?
>
> See my other reply.

I see that _your_ post to rpmforge's list got through ok and the web
site was apparently not fixed at that time, based on Dag's subsequent
post.

Now, since this is a CentOS list and the mailing lists for rpmforge were
apparently working, what is wrong with suggesting that the user post
there?

You and Brian both seem to have the same problem with my short reply to
the OP. What specifically is your beef with my suggestion, which was not
critical, combative or offensive in any way that I can see.

--
Bill

Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, William L. Maltby wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 08:00 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
>>>>

>>> you mean the list you can't find since the rpmforge website is
>>> apparently down?
>>
>> See my other reply.
>
> I see that _your_ post to rpmforge's list got through ok and the web
> site was apparently not fixed at that time, based on Dag's subsequent
> post.
>
> Now, since this is a CentOS list and the mailing lists for rpmforge were
> apparently working, what is wrong with suggesting that the user post
> there?
>
> You and Brian both seem to have the same problem with my short reply to
> the OP. What specifically is your beef with my suggestion, which was not
> critical, combative or offensive in any way that I can see.
>
>> <snip>

I didn't mean to stir up a ruckus
Thanks for the help

Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 08:43 -0600, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> <snip>

> I didn't mean to stir up a ruckus

Not your fault at all. I know that Dag often monitors this list and on
occasions when he can't/doesn't get stuff resolved at the rpmforge
site/list, he'll generously help out right from this list.

But he has posted at rpmforge list about how swamped he is. Logic would
indicate that a faster response might be had there. My assumption was
that you either didn't know about his mailing list or forgot about it.
So I just wanted to suggest it to you. I seldom (never?) intend to be
condescending or harsh in my posts (resist the urge, resist the
urge, ... oh well, the hell with it: unlike some others ;-)

Unfortunately, the desire for brevity on lists often allows a lot of
latitude for interpreting posts as harsh.

The ruckus came when some folks apparently interpreted your post
differently than I and decided that I deserved castigation.

Their problem, not mine.

> Thanks for the help

I do hope that my original reply was seen as intended - helpful.

--
Bill

Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
John R Pierce

rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> I have not been able to connect to rpmforge for a couple of days
> Is it me or is there a problem with the repository

fyi, its back online per a email reply to my query on the
users/at/lists.rpmforge.net list...