-   -   clamAV problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/241158-clamav-problem.html)

Anne Wilson 02-06-2009 06:50 AM

clamAV problem

Since my power problems that resulted in a re-install I have a problem which
I've failed to locate up to now. The logs show

daily.cld updated (version: 8950, sigs: 72593, f-level: 38, builder: ccordes)
Database updated (510565 signatures) from db.gb.clamav.net (IP: 163.1.3.8)
WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
/tmp/clamd.socket

I've been through the config files, but obviously there is something in the
setup that I've failed to do. Scans are running every night, but

service clamd status
clamd: unrecognized service

It has to be something stupid that I've missed. Can someone kick me in the
right direction? Thanks

Anne

Olaf Mueller 02-06-2009 08:24 AM

clamAV problem

Anne Wilson wrote:

Hello,

> daily.cld updated (version: 8950, sigs: 72593, f-level: 38, builder:
> ccordes)

> service clamd status
> clamd: unrecognized service

> It has to be something stupid that I've missed. Can someone kick me
> in the
> right direction? Thanks
the following setup is here working. I'm using the clamav packages
from "RPMforge RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise 5".

1) # rpm -qa | grep clam
clamav-0.94.2-1.el5.rf
clamav-milter-0.94.2-1.el5.rf # for mail
clamav-db-0.94.2-1.el5.rf
clamd-0.94.2-1.el5.rf

2) /etc/clamd.conf
LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
LogFileMaxSize 0
PidFile /var/run/clamav/clamd.pid
TemporaryDirectory /var/tmp
DatabaseDirectory /var/clamav
LocalSocket /var/clamav/clamd.socket
FixStaleSocket yes
MaxConnectionQueueLength 30
MaxThreads 50
ReadTimeout 120
SelfCheck 3600
User clamav
AllowSupplementaryGroups yes
ScanPE yes
ScanELF yes
DetectBrokenExecutables yes
ScanOLE2 yes
ScanPDF yes
ScanMail yes
PhishingSignatures yes
ScanHTML yes
ScanArchive yes
ArchiveBlockEncrypted no

3) /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
[...]
Loaded ClamAV 0.94.2/8959/Fri Feb 6 06:58:05 2009
ClamAV: Protecting against 951007 viruses
Database correctly reloaded (951007 signatures)
Database correctly reloaded (951007 viruses)

4) /var/log/freshclam.log
[...]
Current working dir is /var/clamav
Max retries == 3
ClamAV update process started at Fri Feb 6 10:12:01 2009
Using IPv6 aware code
Querying current.cvd.clamav.net
TTL: 900
Software version from DNS: 0.94.2
main.cvd version from DNS: 49
Connecting via <MYSERVER>
main.cvd is up to date (version: 49, sigs: 437972, f-level: 35, builder:
sven)
daily.cvd version from DNS: 8959
Connecting via <MYSERVER>
daily.cld is up to date (version: 8959, sigs: 75562, f-level: 38,
builder: ccordes)

regards
Olaf

Agile Aspect 02-06-2009 08:28 AM

clamAV problem

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Since my power problems that resulted in a re-install I have a problem which
> I've failed to locate up to now. The logs show
>
> daily.cld updated (version: 8950, sigs: 72593, f-level: 38, builder: ccordes)
> Database updated (510565 signatures) from db.gb.clamav.net (IP: 163.1.3.8)
> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> /tmp/clamd.socket
>
> I've been through the config files, but obviously there is something in the
> setup that I've failed to do. Scans are running every night, but
>
> service clamd status
> clamd: unrecognized service

It's possible chkconfig doesn't know about 'clamd' and fails
to start on boot.

The scanning of the filesystem is probably driven by
scripts.

As root try

/sbin/chkconfig clamd on

then check the service again.

I know next to nothing about clamAV.

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of
the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers,
both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by
Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test
shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust
under the United States."

David Hrbáč 02-06-2009 08:58 AM

clamAV problem

Anne Wilson napsal(a):
> Since my power problems that resulted in a re-install I have a problem which
> I've failed to locate up to now. The logs show
>
> daily.cld updated (version: 8950, sigs: 72593, f-level: 38, builder: ccordes)
> Database updated (510565 signatures) from db.gb.clamav.net (IP: 163.1.3.8)
> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> /tmp/clamd.socket
>
> I've been through the config files, but obviously there is something in the
> setup that I've failed to do. Scans are running every night, but
>
> service clamd status
> clamd: unrecognized service
>
> It has to be something stupid that I've missed. Can someone kick me in the
> right direction? Thanks
>
> Anne

Hi,
it seems to me to misconfiguration problem.

In the first email you wrote:
> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> /tmp/clamd.socket

The second one reads:
> LocalSocket /var/clamav/clamd.socket

Regards,
David Hrbáč

Kai Schaetzl 02-06-2009 09:31 AM

clamAV problem

Anne Wilson wrote on Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:50:58 +0000:

> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> /tmp/clamd.socket

well, is it started, does the socket exist?

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

"John" 02-06-2009 03:28 PM

clamAV problem

------
And then "touch /var/clamd.socket" for the Socket file to get there or on
restart it will get there automatically.

JohnStanley

Anne Wilson 02-11-2009 02:09 PM

clamAV problem

On Friday 06 February 2009 10:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote on Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:50:58 +0000:
> > WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> > /tmp/clamd.socket
>
> well, is it started, does the socket exist?
>
> Kai

First, thanks and apologies to all who responded. I've been away a few days
and there's always a lot of catching up to be done when I get back.

Checking Olaf's list, I realised that clamav was installed and I had falsely
believed that clamd would be installed at the same time. Since there was an
old config and log file, I hadn't noticed.

I've now installed it, chkconfig'd it, touched the socket, and I'll wait to
see what is reported in the morning.

Thanks again

Anne

Anne Wilson 02-14-2009 11:39 AM

clamAV problem

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 15:09:33 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 06 February 2009 10:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote on Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:50:58 +0000:
> > > WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> > > /tmp/clamd.socket
> >
> > well, is it started, does the socket exist?
> >
> > Kai
>
> First, thanks and apologies to all who responded. I've been away a few
> days and there's always a lot of catching up to be done when I get back.
>
> Checking Olaf's list, I realised that clamav was installed and I had
> falsely believed that clamd would be installed at the same time. Since
> there was an old config and log file, I hadn't noticed.
>
> I've now installed it, chkconfig'd it, touched the socket, and I'll wait to
> see what is reported in the morning.

All is still not well. Freshclam still tells me

WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
~/tmp/clamd.socket

Is this relative to root, or where?

Anne

"Mail List" 02-14-2009 12:35 PM

clamAV problem

>> All is still not well. Freshclam still tells me
>>
>> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
>> ~/tmp/clamd.socket
>>
>> Is this relative to root, or where?
>>
>>Anne

Anne,

First off you have to decide if you need clamd?
If not then all you would need to do is edit freshclam.conf
and tell it not to notify clamd.

# Send the RELOAD command to clamd.
# Default: no
#NotifyClamd /path/to/clamd.conf

I'm using the non rpm version for MailScanner. but your version activates
it automatically. Also in the cron entry "/etc/cron.daily/freshclam" is --
is another entry telling freshclam to notify clamd. If you do need clamd
then you can remove your touched socket, edit clamd.conf make sure it points
to the right /tmp/clamd.socket. then..

service clamd start

I hope that helps.

Brian

--
Brian
http://wx.Tatorz.com

Brian
http://wx.Tatorz.com

believed to be clean.

Kai Schaetzl 02-14-2009 02:31 PM

clamAV problem

Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:39:49 +0000:

> Freshclam still tells me

No, it's a new message!

> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> ~/tmp/clamd.socket

that is userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket

Kai

--