Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Anne Wilson

Default clamAV problem

On Saturday 14 February 2009 13:35:19 Mail List wrote:
> >> All is still not well. Freshclam still tells me
> >>
> >> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> >> ~/tmp/clamd.socket
> >>
> >> Is this relative to root, or where?
> >>
> >>Anne
>
> Anne,
>
> First off you have to decide if you need clamd?
> If not then all you would need to do is edit freshclam.conf
> and tell it not to notify clamd.
>
> # Send the RELOAD command to clamd.
> # Default: no
> #NotifyClamd /path/to/clamd.conf
>
> I'm using the non rpm version for MailScanner. but your version activates
> it automatically. Also in the cron entry "/etc/cron.daily/freshclam" is --
> is another entry telling freshclam to notify clamd. If you do need clamd
> then you can remove your touched socket, edit clamd.conf make sure it
> points to the right /tmp/clamd.socket. then..
>
> service clamd start
>
> I hope that helps.

That might be the best answer. If I'm going to just run scans on a cron job
there's probably no reason for clamd. I'll make those changes, thanks.

All the same, it's galling that this was working before the power problems :-(

Anne

Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 14 February 2009 15:31:34 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:39:49 +0000:
> > Freshclam still tells me
>
> No, it's a new message!
>
> > WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> > ~/tmp/clamd.socket
>
> that is userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket

Kai, I'm lost. That's what I touch'd, so it does exist.

Anne

Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Paul Bijnens

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2009 15:31:34 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:39:49 +0000:
>>> Freshclam still tells me
>> No, it's a new message!
>>
>>> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
>>> ~/tmp/clamd.socket
>> that is userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket
>>
> Kai, I'm lost. That's what I touch'd, so it does exist.

A "socket" cannot be created by touch(1), afaik.
Just start clamd, which should create the socket wherever its
config file said to put it.
Or if there is not socket, find out why clamd did not create it.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:12:47 +0000:

> > that is userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket
> >
> Kai, I'm lost. That's what I touch'd, so it does exist.

Read again, this is "userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket" and not
"/tmp/clamd.socket". clamd does not use the socket
"userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket" unless you tell it to do so. And freshclam
does not try to signal to that socket unless it cannot find the correct
clamd.conf or has some other problem that you created. Find out why your
freshclam is trying the wrong socket.
If you installed clamav from rpmforge, it works out of the box.
There is nothing needed to be touched, remove that touched file!
Check your clamd.conf that the correct socket gets used, check
freshclam.conf that the correct clamd.conf is read and start clamd.
There's nothing else to do.
And if you don't need clamd, there's no need to install it or signal to
it. So, tell it not to signal.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:38:18 +0000:

> If I'm going to just run scans on a cron job
> there's probably no reason for clamd.

depends on what yous can. And if you don't need it why do you install it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 14 February 2009 17:35:32 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:12:47 +0000:
> > > that is userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket
> >
> > Kai, I'm lost. That's what I touch'd, so it does exist.
>
> Read again, this is "userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket" and not
> "/tmp/clamd.socket". clamd does not use the socket
> "userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket" unless you tell it to do so. And freshclam
> does not try to signal to that socket unless it cannot find the correct
> clamd.conf or has some other problem that you created. Find out why your
> freshclam is trying the wrong socket.
> If you installed clamav from rpmforge, it works out of the box.

I am, and the problem is that it didn't work out of the box. It didn't when I
installed it before, either, although I did eventually get it sorted.

> There is nothing needed to be touched, remove that touched file!
> Check your clamd.conf that the correct socket gets used, check
> freshclam.conf that the correct clamd.conf is read and start clamd.
> There's nothing else to do.
> And if you don't need clamd, there's no need to install it or signal to
> it. So, tell it not to signal.

OK, I understand a bit more about it now, but I really don't think that I need
it. Getting to grips with what you do and don't need of related packages can
be quite a job.

Anne

Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 14 February 2009 17:35:32 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:12:47 +0000:
> > > that is userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket
> >
> > Kai, I'm lost. That's what I touch'd, so it does exist.
>
> Read again, this is "userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket" and not
> "/tmp/clamd.socket". clamd does not use the socket
> "userhomedir/tmp/clamd.socket" unless you tell it to do so. And freshclam
> does not try to signal to that socket unless it cannot find the correct
> clamd.conf or has some other problem that you created. Find out why your
> freshclam is trying the wrong socket.
> If you installed clamav from rpmforge, it works out of the box.
> There is nothing needed to be touched, remove that touched file!
> Check your clamd.conf that the correct socket gets used, check
> freshclam.conf that the correct clamd.conf is read and start clamd.
> There's nothing else to do.
> And if you don't need clamd, there's no need to install it or signal to
> it. So, tell it not to signal.

"Clamd successfully notified about the update."

I hate being beaten! :-) I simply removed the line that mentioned a local
socket. So simple, and so easily missed. Yes, it probably wasn't enabled by
default, but by misunderstanding.

Thanks to all who helped.

Anne

Anne

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
"Mail List"

Anne Wilson wrote:
> "Clamd successfully notified about the update."
>
> I hate being beaten! :-) I simply removed the line that mentioned a local
> socket. So simple, and so easily missed. Yes, it probably wasn't enabled by
> default, but by misunderstanding.
>
> Thanks to all who helped.
>
> Anne

Anne,

Just for the record, I just installed the base packages of clamav, clamav-db using
the rpmforge repo on a test machine. The option ...

# Send the RELOAD command to clamd.
# Default: no
NotifyClamd /etc/clamd.conf

Is enabled by default. So you did by no means break it. That is it's expected behavior.
Also please not that in /etc/cron.daily/freshclam you will have the same option enabled,
as follows

/usr/bin/freshclam
--quiet
--datadir="/var/clamav"
--log="$LOG_FILE"
--log-verbose
--daemon-notify="/etc/clamd.conf"

So no you did not break it. it was turned on by default.

Brian

--
http://wx.Tatorz.com

believed to be clean.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Mail List wrote on Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:41:27 -0500:

> So you did by no means break it.

She broke it by changing the path for the socket. ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Anne Wilson

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 12:31:18 Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Mail List wrote on Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:41:27 -0500:
> > So you did by no means break it.
>
> She broke it by changing the path for the socket. ;-)

Yes. I had understood that I had to give it a suitable place for a local
socket. It was, of course, totally unnecessary. When I realised that a
socket existed in /var it seemed well worth trying simply commenting the line
out. Bingo! A plain misunderstanding on my part.

The help I got on this list prompted me to look in the right places for clues.
That's more valuable than a simple instruction that cures it :-)

Thanks again, all

Anne