Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Scott Ehrlich

Default Help with dump/restore

So I recently installed an Overland Arcvault 12 tape library on a server
to back up /var/log/ and /home. The server is an out-of-box RHEL 5
install, with all packages selected, in an isolated lan, with no package
updates. Also, this is a live server that cannot be brought down for
backups, and some files may be actively in use during the dump - just
gotta live with it.

Since I know EL5 and C5 are the same, and the level of support I get from
RH is actually less effective and slower than resources such as this
list, I'm looking here, first.

Up to this point I was backing up to a USB-mounted external 1 TB hard
drive.

I was using a script containing:

/sbin/dump -0v -z2 -f /media/usb_drive/dump0 /home

I played with restore on that, and it tested fine.

For the tape, I thought it would be nice to add /var/log (should have done
it before, but didn't think of it...)

Trying to adapt the knowledge to a tape library...

/sbin/dump -0 -v -z2 -f /dev/nst0 /var/log
/sbin/dump -0u -v -z2 -f /dev/nst0 /home

I have a cron job that dumps the results to /var/log/dump.log, and a
review of the log file claims all went well. Now for the restore...

I just tried playing with different options of restore, but could not
successfully restore anything. I ensured I was in a scratch area so as
to hopefully not overwrite current files.

What is the proper procedure for dumping and restoring now? Should I be
dumping to /dev/nst0/dump? What restore commands would I use to recall
a file?

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible - people have suggested
legato and amanda, but for now, I would think/hope dump and restore would
work.

Thanks.

Scott

Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 at 10:16am, Scott Ehrlich wrote

So I recently installed an Overland Arcvault 12 tape library on a server to

What kind of tape drive is in there?

I was using a script containing:

/sbin/dump -0v -z2 -f /media/usb_drive/dump0 /home

I played with restore on that, and it tested fine.

For the tape, I thought it would be nice to add /var/log (should have done it
before, but didn't think of it...)

Is /var/log its own filesystem? dump/restore is designed to work on
filesystems, not directories. IIRC (I haven't used dump/restore in a
while), full dumps will work OK (with some complaining) but incrementals
won't work at all.

Trying to adapt the knowledge to a tape library...

/sbin/dump -0 -v -z2 -f /dev/nst0 /var/log
/sbin/dump -0u -v -z2 -f /dev/nst0 /home

Depending on what tape drive you have and whether or not hardware
compression is enabled, you may want to lose the -z. You may want to
anyway to save yourself the cycles.

I have a cron job that dumps the results to /var/log/dump.log, and a review
of the log file claims all went well. Now for the restore...

I just tried playing with different options of restore, but could not
successfully restore anything. I ensured I was in a scratch area so as to
hopefully not overwrite current files.

Erm, what options did you try, and what were the results? Did you ensure
the tape was positioned properly?

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible - people have suggested legato
and amanda, but for now, I would think/hope dump and restore would work.

I'm a big fan and long-time user of amanda, but it's appropriateness here
depends on your needs (which you haven't fully spelled out).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Les Mikesell

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
So I recently installed an Overland Arcvault 12 tape library on a server
to back up /var/log/ and /home.

[...]

Trying to adapt the knowledge to a tape library...

/sbin/dump -0 -v -z2 -f /dev/nst0 /var/log
/sbin/dump -0u -v -z2 -f /dev/nst0 /home

I have a cron job that dumps the results to /var/log/dump.log, and a
review of the log file claims all went well. Now for the restore...

I just tried playing with different options of restore, but could not
successfully restore anything. I ensured I was in a scratch area so as
to hopefully not overwrite current files.

What is the proper procedure for dumping and restoring now? Should I be
dumping to /dev/nst0/dump? What restore commands would I use to
recall a file?

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible - people have suggested
legato and amanda, but for now, I would think/hope dump and restore
would work.

First you need to determine if your problem is with dump or the tape
drive. Dump tends to be unhappy if the filesystem changes during the
run, so you might be better off using tar. Also, some tape drives are
picky about the block size used in writing and reading. You can use the
mt command to check/set the block size for the tape, and both dump and
tar have block size options that you can set to match.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Dec 28, 2007 10:16 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> drive. Dump tends to be unhappy if the filesystem changes during the
> run, so you might be better off using tar. Also, some tape drives are

Note what Linus has to say on the topic here:
http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3

Old post, still applies just as well today as it did then.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Chris Mauritz

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

I'm a big fan and long-time user of amanda, but it's appropriateness
here depends on your needs (which you haven't fully spelled out).

I'd have to concur. Dump has bitten me in the behind
(uh....er....nevermind) a few times when I *really* needed it to work.

This doesn't solve your problem, but amanda isn't that hard to install
if you have the option of trying an alternate tool to get your job done.

Best,

Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Jeffrey Ross

Jon Stanley wrote:

drive. Dump tends to be unhappy if the filesystem changes during the
run, so you might be better off using tar. Also, some tape drives are

Note what Linus has to say on the topic here:
http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3

Old post, still applies just as well today as it did then.

And the rebuttal to Linus' view on dump/restore

http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html

However keep in mind, dump will only work on a ext2 or ext3 filesystem.

To restore the filesystem you have a few methods, if you want to restore
everything do the following:

cd /newfilesystem; restore rf /dev/{tapedevice}

Jeff

Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Scott Ehrlich

drive. Dump tends to be unhappy if the filesystem changes during the
run, so you might be better off using tar. Also, some tape drives are

Note what Linus has to say on the topic here:
http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3

Old post, still applies just as well today as it did then.

And the rebuttal to Linus' view on dump/restore

http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html

However keep in mind, dump will only work on a ext2 or ext3 filesystem.
To restore the filesystem you have a few methods, if you want to restore
everything do the following:

cd /newfilesystem; restore rf /dev/{tapedevice}

Jeff

I tried tar, but it complained about some things, so I'm now looking at
rsync. I want to back up to our Overland LTO3 tape library connected to
the server via a SCSI card. One filesystem is /home, and the other is
/var.

I'd want to create a full backup, with verbose output, and weekly
incrementals.

Again, files may be in-use during backups - no databases in use at this
time. I just have to live with the in-use files situation.

What would be the best rsync method to the local lto3 library (full
magazine with 12 LTO3 400/800 GB tapes).

Thanks again.

Scott

Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

I tried tar, but it complained about some things, so I'm now looking at
rsync.

Tar is probably right to complain about some things. Try to understand
them - they may or may not be important. Rsync is meant to copy
disk-disk, perhaps over a network, but it isn't going to work with tape.

I want to back up to our Overland LTO3 tape library connected
to the server via a SCSI card. One filesystem is /home, and the other
is /var.

I'd want to create a full backup, with verbose output, and weekly
incrementals.

Tar should work fine for this. You could automate with amanda or
bacula, but for a single host it is probably easier to just schedule the
tar commands.

Again, files may be in-use during backups - no databases in use at this
time. I just have to live with the in-use files situation.

That's normally not a problem other than getting whatever state you
happen to catch in an active file.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 AM
"nate"

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> What would be the best rsync method to the local lto3 library (full
> magazine with 12 LTO3 400/800 GB tapes).

What I'd probably do is setup rsnapshot to make snapshots of the
data that you want, and backup the snapshots(rsnapshot utilizes
hard links so only changed files are copied). This way you can
ensure the files being backed up to tape are not being altered.

As for sending the data to tape, my personal experience has been
with BRU. It's not a free software package, the workstation
version is a few hundred bucks. I'm sure there are other
good backup packages out there, I've just been using BRU off
and on for the past 8 years or so, since it's worked so
well I've stuck to it. I can't speak for BRU server, back
in 2001 they came out with the first version of BRU Pro,
which was a fancied version of BRU, and it sucked hard.
I use the original CLI version. Syntax is very similar
to tar. Haven't used anything other than standalone single
cartridge tape drives with it.

My next backup project I plan to purchase one of Quantum's
new LTO 3A tape autoloaders, which is entirely IP-based,
includes a built in FTP server, which I plan to use to
send data to tape from multiple systems, no more tape
backup software. For most of my production/work systems
I snapshot the important volumes on my storage array
(3PAR E200), and then back up the files on separate,
dedicated systems.

nate