Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default MOre on buring ISOs

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 22:55 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> So right now I have installed k3b on this notebook. I am using my Storix
> DVD/CDRW usb drive. I can read cds with it.

I saw your correction in your later post.

> <snip>

> Total size: 55 MB (05:32.48) = 24936 sectors
> Lout start: 56 MB (05:34/36) = 24936 sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
> cdrecord: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: cmd timeout
> after 9.040 (240) s

Might try the timeout= as mentioned in "man cdrecord", although even
with USB 1.1 I would think 9 seconds would suffice. Maybe spin-up time
delays response? Did you try using the -atip I suggested earlier? Also -
prcap and -inq? I don't think these things will help, but they will show
a general ability to communicate and read drive/disc info.

If they work, then your usb/scsi stack is good. That leaves mechanical
issues such as drive response time, read/write head properly following
the single track on media, dust in the unit and media problems, OR
additional parameters needed for cdrecord due to specific hardware
issues. For example, cdrecord has a driver= parameter so it even
supports many drives that are not mmc compliant in all regards.

I would also suggest a google for usb/linux/can't ... I suspect that
this is not a brand new problem.

> <snip>

> These are Memorex 700Mb/80min CD-R disks. Bought them probably 4 years
> ago. Got about 200 of them and down to about 30.

I've got some I bought a couple years agao. No problems with current
equipment. HOWEVER, my brother-in-law was not able to use them on his
eqpt (not Linux, poor fool). Note: they *do* say for use in rewritable
drives bearing the high-speed logo". I had some drives they would not
work in, IIRC. I later bought ones they did work in.

First: try changing media to a more generic one.

--
Bill

Old 12-28-2007, 12:12 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 00:51 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> <snip>

> So far, I have not been able to burn a CD. I get a message from cdrecord
> about Read-only file system. Cannot open '/dev/scd0' So I am going to
> ask help over on the DSL forum on what Knoppix magic I need...
>
> But this shows the drive works. The problem is either the hardware or
> the Centos 5.1 install. It COULD be the server's hardware (an old Compaq
> SFF), but my notebook has used this CDRW in the past....

Media? See my other post.

--
Bill

Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/27/2007 9:51 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following: