Old 12-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Default MOre on buring ISOs

Correction.

I cannot read a CD in this Storix drive. I thought I had recently, but
not. I used this drive all the time on this system when it had Centos
4.x installed. Probably the only 4.x system left around here is a
Trixbox 2.2.10 install. I will have to test on that tomorrow. But no
gnome installed, so it will have to be all command line....

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
So right now I have installed k3b on this notebook. I am using my
Storix DVD/CDRW usb drive. I can read cds with it.

Cannot burn CDs. First k3b suggests slowing down (from 8x to 4x). Then
use TAO. Then it gave up.

So I try cdrecord directly. -checkdrive finds some interesting things.
Got to close the drive manually; cdrecord says it can't. then try a
cdrecord -v dev=dev/scd0 sample.iso and if fails:

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
dependent defaults.

cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J?rg
Schilling

Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().

cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/scd0'
devname: '/dev/scd0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83
04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').

SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'SAMSUNG '
Identifikation : 'CDRW/DVD SN-308B'
Revision : 'U006'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Current: 0x0009
Profile: 0x0008
Profile: 0x0009
Profile: 0x000A
Profile: 0x0010
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
RAW/R96R

Drive buf size : 1353728 = 1322 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 48 MB
Total size: 55 MB (05:32.48) = 24936 sectors
Lout start: 56 MB (05:34/36) = 24936 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
cdrecord: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: cmd
timeout after 9.040 (240) s

CDB: 51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00
resid: 4
cmd finished after 9.040s timeout 240s
cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.

==========================

and in /var/log/messages

Dec 27 21:11:11 nc4010 kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any
tracks I recognize!
Dec 27 21:11:11 nc4010 kernel: usb 3-3: reset high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 21

So what of this?

These are Memorex 700Mb/80min CD-R disks. Bought them probably 4 years
ago. Got about 200 of them and down to about 30.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Scott Ehrlich

I cannot read a CD in this Storix drive. I thought I had recently, but not.
I used this drive all the time on this system when it had Centos 4.x
installed. Probably the only 4.x system left around here is a Trixbox 2.2.10
install. I will have to test on that tomorrow. But no gnome installed, so
it will have to be all command line....

How many CD drives are on that system? If two, can you try to burn a
CentOS 5.1 or Ubuntu 7.10 disk, boot of that, then play with at least
reading off the USB drive? Maybe test a store-bought CD and try burning
a file from the hard drive to the store-bought CD and see what happens?

Scott

Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

I cannot read a CD in this Storix drive. I thought I had recently,
but not. I used this drive all the time on this system when it had
Centos 4.x installed. Probably the only 4.x system left around here
is a Trixbox 2.2.10 install. I will have to test on that tomorrow.
But no gnome installed, so it will have to be all command line....

How many CD drives are on that system? If two, can you try to burn a
CentOS 5.1 or Ubuntu 7.10 disk, boot of that, then play with at least
reading off the USB drive? Maybe test a store-bought CD and try
burning a file from the hard drive to the store-bought CD and see what
happens?

Some more things to try. Meanwhile...

I put the Storix drive on my corp XP notebook. It read a CD fine and I
used ISOmagic to burn an ISO image. Problem with ISO magic is the
freeware version can only go up to 320Mb. And Centos isos are bigger
than that. Meanwhile I am waiting for Helpdesk software support to get
back to me to tell me how to order iso burning software that is
corporate approved....

Next I put the drive on my Libretto running DSL 4.2.1. I have a PCMCIA
USB card in the unit with the Storix plugged into that. With a mnt
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom1 I am able to read a CD with pictures on it.

So far, I have not been able to burn a CD. I get a message from cdrecord
about Read-only file system. Cannot open '/dev/scd0' So I am going to
ask help over on the DSL forum on what Knoppix magic I need...

But this shows the drive works. The problem is either the hardware or
the Centos 5.1 install. It COULD be the server's hardware (an old Compaq
SFF), but my notebook has used this CDRW in the past....