Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Timothy Selivanow

Default libata and PMP (Port Multiplier) support in CentOS

I'm looking at buying a NORCO DS-1220 and it comes with a NORCO 4618
PCI-X card (4 port eSATA, with a port multiplier on the card or the
chassis). I've been trying to pin down whether or not CentOS will see
all 12 drives, and I haven't seen anything that is definitive. I see
that the kernel module sata_sil24 supports the SiI3124 chip on the NORCO
4618 card, but I haven't found whether or not the default kernel will
support the SiI3726 (PMP) without the libata-tj patch.

I'm just trying to determine the easiest route to go with minimal cost.
I've found another enclosure that uses 4 mini-SAS connectors, but in
addition to the extra $320 for the enclosure, I'd need to buy a $300
card and at least one $120 cable (either SFF-8088 to SFF-8470 or a
straight SFF-8088). While this is for at home, I would consider this a
"mission critical" device and don't want a flakey setup, which is what I
have now...I've become an expert at recovering from a 2 drive failure in
a 4 drive RAID5 setup using mdadm.

Any ideas, suggestions, or authoritative comments?

--Tim
< You're definitely on their list. The question to ask next is what list it is. >

Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Kay Diederichs

Timothy Selivanow schrieb:

[...]

AFAIK the RHEL5 kernel does not support the SiI3726 PMP.

I'm running PMP with kernel 2.6.23.1 and the libata-tj patch. The forthcoming
2.6.24 has PMP natively.

HTH,

Kay