Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Solved - boot hangs on trying to start sendmail

After a wait of about 5 min, the boot moved on to hang on sm-client.
When that finally timed out, I was able to log in.

The problem was indirectly DNS.

When I had configured the 2nd interface (which I added in the last
reboot), I included a gateway address. Then when I booted, there were
two interfaces each with their gateway address. Well the second
(non-existant) one was used, so no access to the DNS server.

It is those beartraps you know about that get you every time.

replies-lists-a1z2-centos@listmail.innovate.net wrote:

the sendmail hang is generally a dns issue -- sendmail is trying to
resolve the hostname. it will timeout past this after a bit. having
the appropriate entries in /etc/hosts should resolve this.

- Rick