Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default boot hangs on trying to start sendmail

I am building a new server. It will be a temporary firewall of sorts.

I am well into the config, made a lot of changes; almost ready to set it
up in the target networks, but now....

The system hangs trying to start sendmail. I was thinking hard about
disabling sendmail, but thought I needed it for internal functions, so
did not. yet.

So is there someway to get the system working so I can change something
like disable sendmail?

The system has no cdrom, diskette, etc. In fact the kybd/monitor
require a special temp setup. Perhaps I can edit the kernel line in
grub to disable something?

If necessary, I can pull the drive and put it in a system that does
support cdrom. That is the way I did the initial harddrive install.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
"Ed Donahue"

At startup, you will see a message that say Press I to run in interactive mode, there you can reject starting sendmail when you are prompted.

On Dec 27, 2007 10:03 AM, Robert Moskowitz <

Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Christopher Chan

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I am building a new server. It will be a temporary firewall of sorts.

I am well into the config, made a lot of changes; almost ready to set it
up in the target networks, but now....

The system hangs trying to start sendmail. I was thinking hard about
disabling sendmail, but thought I needed it for internal functions, so
did not. yet.

So is there someway to get the system working so I can change something
like disable sendmail?

sendmail is waiting for dns resolution of its hostname/name. Fix that
and it will not 'hang'. Or just wait for the dns queries to timeout
(could take a while...i cannot remember...5 mins?)

Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Ed Donahue wrote:
At startup, you will see a message that say Press I to run in
interactive mode, there you can reject starting sendmail when you are
prompted.

Now this is something to add to my Linux support/admin notes.

THANKS!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Joshua Gimer

Make sure that the system has an entry for itself in /etc/hosts. This
will allow the system to boot up even if DNS is unavailable.

Josh

On Dec 27, 2007 10:03 AM, Robert Moskowitz < rgm@htt-consult.com <mailto:rgm@htt-consult.com