Old 12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Saurabh Sharma

Default Installation problems Cisco VPN Client

Hi All ,

Any one using Cisco VPN Client [vpnclient-linux-4.6.00.0045-k9.tar.gz]
on CentOS 5 [2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686]

The client installation is giving error for making module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

Can any one help me out to resolve this :

The whole stack trace of the installation after the extraction of the
tar is as shown:

[root@XBox
vpnclient]# ./vpn_install

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.6.00 (0045) Linux Installer

Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

By installing this product you agree that you have read the

license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with

its terms.

Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]

In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the

kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

Directory containing linux kernel source code
[/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5/build]

* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".

* Modules will be installed in
"/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5/CiscoVPN".

* The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.

* Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5/build" will be
used to build the module.

Is the above correct [y]

Making module

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5/build
SUBDIRS=/home/saurabh/software/vpnclient modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686'

Â* CC [M]Â* /home/saurabh/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o

In file included from /home/saurabh/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:12:

include/linux/config.h:6:2: warning: #warning Including config.h is
deprecated.

/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function
‘CniInjectReceive’:

/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:315: error: ‘struct
sk_buff’ has no member named ‘stamp’

/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c: In function
‘CniInjectSend’:

/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.c:452: error: ‘struct
sk_buff’ has no member named ‘stamp’

make[2]: *** [/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/home/user1/software/vpnclient] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686'

make: *** [default] Error 2

Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

Thanks & Regards

Saurabh

Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Dec 27, 2007 9:33 AM, Saurabh Sharma <luckysharma11@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All ,
> Any one using Cisco VPN Client [vpnclient-linux-4.6.00.0045-k9.tar.gz] on
> CentOS 5 [2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686]
> The client installation is giving error for making module "cisco_ipsec.ko".
> Can any one help me out to resolve this :

Probably, if it were in any way legible. Sending html formatted email
is bad mmmkay.

> The whole stack trace of the installation after the extraction of the tar
> is as shown:
> make[2]: *** [/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [_module_/home/user1/software/vpnclient] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686'
> make: *** [default] Error 2
> Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

Okay it's stupid question time, since we don't have any additional information.

What's the output of uname -a, and do you have the corresponding
kernel-devel package installed, which matches your running kernel?

George Orwell

Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
fred smith

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 12:56:57PM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 9:33 AM, Saurabh Sharma <luckysharma11@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All ,
> > Any one using Cisco VPN Client [vpnclient-linux-4.6.00.0045-k9.tar.gz] on
> > CentOS 5 [2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686]
> > The client installation is giving error for making module "cisco_ipsec.ko".
> > Can any one help me out to resolve this :
>
> Probably, if it were in any way legible. Sending html formatted email
> is bad mmmkay.
>
> > The whole stack trace of the installation after the extraction of the tar
> > is as shown:
> > make[2]: *** [/home/user1/software/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [_module_/home/user1/software/vpnclient] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-53.1.4.el5-i686'
> > make: *** [default] Error 2
> > Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".
>
> Okay it's stupid question time, since we don't have any additional information.
>
> What's the output of uname -a, and do you have the corresponding
> kernel-devel package installed, which matches your running kernel?

I think that issue is fixed with the 4.8 cisco vpn client. Check out
this site: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/RZ/wlan/ipsec/software/

The Lord is like a strong tower.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
uNiXpSyChO

Jim Perrin wrote:

[...]

going to C$ VPN Client version 4.8.01.0640 should compile.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
"nate"

Saurabh Sharma wrote:

> Any one using Cisco VPN Client

Try vpnc, for me it works a lot better than the Cisco vpn client
which while I got it to compile fine, when I connect it spits out
a generic, useless error and refuses to connect to the remote site.

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/

I've been using it several times a week for about 6 months now under
Ubuntu. It uses a generic tunneling(tun I believe) driver included
in the kernel. Only issue I have had is sometimes it doesn't want
to work over my sprint wireless broadband(I think the latency is
too high for it), typically after retrying a couple times it works.
Over my 1Mbit DSL at home it's rock solid stable. There's even a
GUI component for the Gnome network manager if you prefer(I use the
CLI since I don't use Gnome).

I don't see a package for CentOS in the default v5 distribution, but
there may be an RPM out there that is compatible some place, if
you don't want to compile it.

nate