Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Miguel Medalha

Default OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- FINALLY SOLVED!

> Rebooted with sync on that filesystem. Copied the files again to a newly
> created dir, etc. The results are the same. Why doesn't the directory
> order reflect the inode order?

Because of dir_index!

I just turned dir_index OFF with tune2fs. Now the directory order is the
same as the inode order.

This makes the order of files predictable and in fact turns out to solve
my problem.

With dir_index turned OFF on that filesystem, when a copy is made to
another directory (even from Windows on a Samba share) the alphanumeric
order is preserved. I will just ask the workstation operators to copy
the PS files to a new folder when they are all ready.
Distiller is watching that folder and will process the files in the
normal way, using the rundirex file.

This solution is even better than the initial situation: since we can
now predict the order in which the pages will be processed, we can
manipulate the order at will by doing multi-phased copies to the folder,
in any order we want, instead of being limited to the alphanumeric one
provided by NTFS :-)

So "dir_index ON" (and my ignorance of the inner workings of EXT3) was
to blame for this confusion, from the beginning!

What a trip this was (sometimes in circles)! Thank you very much to all
who contributed!
Great community!