Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
John R Pierce

Default OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> Regardless of what that paper says, Distiller has ALWAYS processed the
>> files in alphabetical order under Windows. I have been doing so since
>> 2000 and Acrobat Distiller 4. We are now at 9. I refer, of course, to
>> the use of rundirx.

again, Windows NTFS directories are inherently stored in sorted order
because they are B-Tree indexes on the filename.

if this distiller process is being run from a "DOS" batch job in
Windows, you could perhaps use something like...

for /f %%F in ('dir /b /on *.ps') DO @path odistiller .... %%F ....

to run it on all *.ps files in the current working directory in
alphabetic order.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Miguel Medalha

> again, Windows NTFS directories are inherently stored in sorted order
> because they are B-Tree indexes on the filename.
>
> if this distiller process is being run from a "DOS" batch job in
> Windows, you could perhaps use something like...
>
> for /f %%F in ('dir /b /on *.ps') DO @path odistiller .... %%F ....
>
> to run it on all *.ps files in the current working directory in
> alphabetic order.

Please note that what Distiller is doing is not "run on all *.ps files
in alphabetic order". If only that were the case, I wouldn't be here
bothering people...
Instructed by a special PS file, Distiller is running a set of complex
operations on a group of files in alphabetic order.

I can modify that special PS file to make Distiller process the files in
any order I want.
The problem is that when the order is not provided by the filesystem
itself, the process takes forever.
That's why I was looking for a solution at the filesystem level. I was
trying to understand the inner workings of EXT3 and looking for a
workaround.

Thank you for your tip, though. Maybe some day I will need it.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Miguel Medalha

>>> Well, I did try to compile it but make fails on all the Linux computers
>>> I have access to. They all run CentOS 5.2. It would be nice to have a
>>> .rpm... I am a sysadmin, not a programmer, I am not able to solve most
>>> compile errors.
>>>

> I will have a hack at compiling it later on because I am very
> interested in it. If I manage to get it rolling I will send out a mail
> to you and update the thread here on the list. I have had great
> success with the clamav vfs module.

That would be GREAT! Thank you!