Old 12-27-2007, 01:05 AM
dny

Default display resolution

hi.
i got old acer veriton 3600g with intel 82865g graphics and should be able to display at least 1024x768.

i'm linux newbie and this is my first hands on centos and it's centos 5.1.
why is it i can only use 800x600 resolution?

i tried install other distro and also few livecd and most distro can give me 1024x768
anyway i can get more screen on centos5.1?

tia.
--
rgds.dennyhalim.com

Mesin Cari Indonesia! http://indosearch.blogspot.com
Pasang Widgets di Web/Blog Loe! http://wiki.dennyhalim.com/mywidget

Berita Mutakhir di PDA/Ponsel Loe! m.dennyhalim.com

... they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand. Mat 13:13
... but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. * Mat 15:11

Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 AM
mups.cp

You should look into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file the check the
available resolutions and the default. Changing this values should
work, If not, check the video driver in the same file.
man xorg.conf

Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
dny

xorg.conf dont have anything indicating the resolution.

i see this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FixVideoResolutionHowto#head-0e3051713171cb5d1bf49dc2dc7bea24eb9ed83e

install 915resolution, change the driver from i810 to intel as said on
the instruction.
and X stop working.

i do X -configure and copy the new xorg.conf and get back to same old
resolution.
still cant get higher resolution.

any idea??

tia

--
rgds.dennyhalim.com
Mesin Cari Indonesia! http://indosearch.blogspot.com
Pasang Widgets di Web/Blog Loe! http://wiki.dennyhalim.com/mywidget
Berita Mutakhir di PDA/Ponsel Loe! m.dennyhalim.com

Chat with us online! Jabber, Google Talk, Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ, MSN
http://www.polarisnetwork.com/portal/messenger

Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Johnny Hughes

dny wrote:
> xorg.conf dont have anything indicating the resolution.
>
> i see this:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FixVideoResolutionHowto#head-0e3051713171cb5d1bf49dc2dc7bea24eb9ed83e
>
> install 915resolution, change the driver from i810 to intel as said on
> the instruction.
> and X stop working.
>
> i do X -configure and copy the new xorg.conf and get back to same old
> resolution.
> still cant get higher resolution.
>
> any idea??
>
> tia
>
> On Dec 27, 2007 10:39 AM, mups. cp <mups.cp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You should look into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file the check the
>> available resolutions and the default. Changing this values should
>> work, If not, check the video driver in the same file.
>> man xorg.conf

I notice that this some times happens if the monitor is in auto
configure mode ... try this, on the menu select the following:

System => Administration => Display

THEN

Click the "hardware" tab and pick your monitor manually.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Denny

On Dec 27, 2007 6:47 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> I notice that this some times happens if the monitor is in auto
> configure mode ... try this, on the menu select the following:
>
> System => Administration => Display
>
> THEN
>
> Click the "hardware" tab and pick your monitor manually.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

i use kde.
no such menu.
in kde control center >> peripheral >> display
there's only 2 choices. 800x600 and 640x480.

and nowhere i can find about monitor settings.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
dny

Old 12-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Ralph Angenendt

dny wrote:
> > Click the "hardware" tab and pick your monitor manually.
>
> i use kde.
> no such menu.

Then run "system-config-display" from a shell.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Johnny Hughes

dny wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 6:47 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
>> I notice that this some times happens if the monitor is in auto
>> configure mode ... try this, on the menu select the following:
>>
>> System => Administration => Display
>>
>> THEN
>>
>> Click the "hardware" tab and pick your monitor manually.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny Hughes
>>

> i use kde.

Now, there's your problem :-)

OK, I am just kidding. Do what ralph said and run system-config-display
from the command line.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 PM
dny

On Dec 30, 2007 11:09 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> Now, there's your problem :-)
>
> OK, I am just kidding. Do what ralph said and run system-config-display
> from the command line.

that's not installed with kde.
so i installed it with yumex.
run it. set my monitor and my resolution both as 1024x768.
startx. and i got blank screen.

replace xorg.conf with the backup to get back to my old low resolution.

anything else i can try out?

tia.
dny

Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM