Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Dave Stevens

Default cpu load monitoring

Hi,

I have a server running Centos 5.2 and am implementing a GIS mapserver app. I
have some sample logs from another implementation that give me an idea of
bandwidth requirements but I would like to check the cpu load. I can not be
at the server during the test and am interested in knowing if there is
logging of cpu load available. Anyone have experience with this?
Recommendations?

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM
"nate"

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a server running Centos 5.2 and am implementing a GIS mapserver app.
> have some sample logs from another implementation that give me an idea of
> bandwidth requirements but I would like to check the cpu load. I can not be
> at the server during the test and am interested in knowing if there is
> logging of cpu load available. Anyone have experience with this?
> Recommendations?

install sysstat and use sar, by default it logs data once every 10
minutes I believe(adjustable via configuration).

nate

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Les Mikesell

Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a server running Centos 5.2 and am implementing a GIS mapserver app. I
> have some sample logs from another implementation that give me an idea of
> bandwidth requirements but I would like to check the cpu load. I can not be
> at the server during the test and am interested in knowing if there is
> logging of cpu load available. Anyone have experience with this?
> Recommendations?

If you have the sysstat package installed, sar will show samples from 10
minute intervals.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Dougal Ballantyne

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a server running Centos 5.2 and am implementing a GIS mapserver app. I
> have some sample logs from another implementation that give me an idea of
> bandwidth requirements but I would like to check the cpu load. I can not be
> at the server during the test and am interested in knowing if there is
> logging of cpu load available. Anyone have experience with this?
> Recommendations?

I use munin for almost all my server monitoring. It is quite
lightweight and you can easily configure it to only record basic CPU
info or more detail as required. It is available in the EPEL
repository.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/4/i386/repoview/munin.html

http://munin.projects.linpro.no/

-Dougal

Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Brian Mathis

Another vote for sysstat/sar. It has been around forever and this is
it's purpose. It also monitors all sorts of other parameters as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Steve Lindemann

Dave Stevens wrote:
>>>snip<<<<
> bandwidth requirements but I would like to check the cpu load. I can not be
> at the server during the test and am interested in knowing if there is
> logging of cpu load available. Anyone have experience with this?
> Recommendations?

I've been using MRTG for ages to monitor cpu load and happily recommend
it for all manner of monitoring (not just routers 8^). MRTG can be
found at:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/index.en.html

...and the program to pass cpu load to mrtg can be found at:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/pub/contrib/linux_loadavg_mrtg.tar.gz

...my mrtg.cfg for this bit
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#### Global Config Options
WithPeak[_]: wmy
### loadavg
Target[loadavg]: `/usr/local/bin/linux_loadavg_mrtg`
MaxBytes[loadavg]: 50
Title[loadavg]: Load Average
PageTop[loadavg]: <h2>Load Average on Email Server</h2>
Options[loadavg]: growright,gauge,absolute,nopercent
YLegend[loadavg]: Load Average
ShortLegend[loadavg]: unit
Legend1[loadavg]: Load Average (1min)
Legend2[loadavg]: n/a
Legend3[loadavg]: Maximal 5 Minute Load Average
Legend4[loadavg]: n/a
LegendI[loadavg]: &nbsp;Value:
LegendO[loadavg]: &nbsp;n/a:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--
Steve Lindemann __
Network Administrator // ASCII Ribbon Campaign

Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
"Alex H. Vandenham"

On Friday 23 January 2009 09:27:23 am Brian Mathis wrote:
> Another vote for sysstat/sar. It has been around forever and this is
> it's purpose. It also monitors all sorts of other parameters as well.

Does anyone know of a useful guide to help me do the analysis of sysstat/sar
reports?

A.

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Brian Mathis

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Alex H. Vandenham <alex@avantel.ca> wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009 09:27:23 am Brian Mathis wrote:
>> Another vote for sysstat/sar. It has been around forever and this is
>> it's purpose. It also monitors all sorts of other parameters as well.
>
> Does anyone know of a useful guide to help me do the analysis of sysstat/sar
> reports?
>
> A.

Start with the man page, it's loaded with stuff. Make sure to check
the "See Also" section. The sysstat homepage is here:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/

Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Richard Karhuse

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Alex H. Vandenham <alex@avantel.ca> wrote:
> > On Friday 23 January 2009 09:27:23 am Brian Mathis wrote:
> >> Another vote for sysstat/sar. It has been around forever and this is
> >> it's purpose. It also monitors all sorts of other parameters as well.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a useful guide to help me do the analysis of sysstat/sar
> > reports?
> >
> > A.
>
> Start with the man page, it's loaded with stuff. Make sure to check
> the "See Also" section. The sysstat homepage is here:
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/

Check-out "ksar" which does a good job for plotting SAR data.

-rak-