Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Miguel Medalha

Default OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server

> You might want to look closely at the file names in Linux.
>
> Windows is not case sensitive but Linux is.
>
> In Windows, you cannot create the 2 files, TEST.DOC and test.doc in the
> same directory but in Linux you can. It may be that some of these files
> are stored differently as in file1.ps and FILE2.PS etc.
>
> Also, you might want to check out some alternate settings...
>

> dos filemode = yes (Share setting only)
> case sensitive = no (share setting only)
> default case = lower (share setting only)

I am aware of the differences in case treatment between Linux and
Windows. This is not related to case.
The filenames in question are automated and ALWAYS take the following form:

M09010901A001C.ps
M09010901A002C.ps
M09010901A003C.ps

etc, etc.

(By the way, the Samba share settings are not "share only". According to
the man pages, share settings can be used globally. The inverse is not
true: global settings can only be used globally.)

Thank you for your answer, though.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Les Mikesell

Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> If you are processing on the linux side and not via samba, and
>> your program will take a list of files on the command line instead of
>> groveling through the directory itself, you might simply start it with a
>> wild-card filename on the command line. The shell will sort the list as
>> it expands it so programs see the sorted list.
>>

> The processing is done via Samba. Acrobat Distiller is not simply
> processing a list of files, it is consolidating a group of files onto a
> single file, discarding repeated graphic objects and creating a single
> subset of fonts from the various font subsets present on the original pages.

The quick/dirty fix might be to cifs-mount a windows directory where the
linux side wants to see it and let the windows side work natively if
that gives the behavior you want. Using the automounter might help if
the windows side is not always available.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> The quick/dirty fix might be to cifs-mount a windows directory where the
> linux side wants to see it and let the windows side work natively if
> that gives the behavior you want. Using the automounter might help if
> the windows side is not always available.

If you go that route, this wiki has useful tips:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares

See section "3. Even-better method"

Akemi

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The quick/dirty fix might be to cifs-mount a windows directory where the
>> linux side wants to see it and let the windows side work natively if
>> that gives the behavior you want. Using the automounter might help if
>> the windows side is not always available.
>
> If you go that route, this wiki has useful tips:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares
>
> See section "3. Even-better method"

Or if you want to really go crazy, you might look at Alfresco
(http://www.alfresco.com), which among other things implements a cifs
server in java so you can apply an assortment of business rules to what
the clients see as you might over http - although I don't really know if
those rules include control over sort order.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Miguel Medalha

I just verified the filesystem features with tune2fs -l and the
dir_index feature is already present. So, no luck here.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
"John"

http://code.google.com/p/samba-dirsort-vfs/

Did you try that? I think someone recommended it to you. If it does indeed
work which I do not think it will for your situation, send me a personal
mail. Although I think your real problem lies in your processing software in
the file ordering. I would have a really good look at the software doing it.
Why because The Gimp can do this with no problem and it is OSS (file
ordering).

JohnStanley

Old 01-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Miguel Medalha

> (...) add the definition of a bubble sort routine before
> that (which I got from Wikipedia), and then modify /RunDir into the
> snippet below. (...)

Thank you for caring to look for and post the code.

At first I became very excited about it. But then I tried it...

It does work. The problem is that it suffers from the same illness as
runfilex does: it takes forever. The process starts very swiftly but
each new processed page takes longer and longer until it all slows to a
crawl. Worse yet, Distiller goes on to use enormous (> 90%) amounts of
CPU time.

I just measured the process as folllows, for the same set of files,
corresponding to a 32 page publication in A3 format:

rundirex: 3m42s
runfilex: 1h29m54s
Wikipedia code: 1h14m55s

It would be faster with the computers we have at work (runfilex takes
about 40m) but you can see the relative magnitudes here.
It really is not an option for the stressful environment of a closing
newspaper...

I suppose I will end up creating a FAT32 partition on the server just
for this purpose.

Thank you again for pointing me to the "PostScript FAQ" Wikipedia page.
It reminded me of the times when I was reading it on BBS'es with the
help of a 2400 bps modem link... :-)

Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Miguel Medalha

> You don't necessarily have to wait to see what the Distiller would do.
> "ls -U" shows the files unsorted, in the directory order, that is
> probably the order in which the Distiller is using them.

Yes, Distiller uses the directory order. I made an experience at home. I
copied 10 files by hand, one by one, from Windows to a CentOS machine.

Copy order
------------
F08C.ps
F06C.ps
F03C.ps
F05C.ps
F10C.ps
F02C.ps
F07C.ps
F04C.ps
F01C.ps
F09C.ps

I obtained the following results.

EXT3 inode numbers
(manually sorted here) match the copy order
6998658 F08C.ps
6998659 F06C.ps
6998660 F03C.ps
6998661 F05C.ps
6998662 F10C.ps
6998663 F02C.ps
6998664 F07C.ps
6998665 F04C.ps
6998666 F01C.ps
6998667 F09C.ps

EXT3 Directory Order (ls -U1)
--------------------------------
F04C.ps
F02C.ps
F03C.ps
F05C.ps
F09C.ps
F08C.ps
F10C.ps
F07C.ps
F01C.ps
F06C.ps

Distiller Order
matches Directory order
-------------------------
F04C.ps
F02C.ps
F03C.ps
F05C.ps
F09C.ps
F08C.ps
F10C.ps
F07C.ps
F01C.ps
F06C.ps

I see that the directory order does not match the inode order (which is
the same as the copy order). Would this be due to the current
asynchronous nature of filesystem operations? Let's try that: I will now
reboot the server machine with the sync option on filesystem mount.
Rebooted with sync on that filesystem. Copied the files again to a newly
created dir, etc. The results are the same. Why doesn't the directory
order reflect the inode order?

Time for further study.
Thank you again!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 20:24 +0000, Miguel Medalha wrote:
> Thank you again for pointing me to the "PostScript FAQ" Wikipedia
> page.
> It reminded me of the times when I was reading it on BBS'es with the
> help of a 2400 bps modem link... :-)
----
and you thought that 2400 bps was fast too I bet. Having started at 300
bps, I was shocked at how fast 1200 bps was.

that was a couple of eons ago

Craig

Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Miguel Medalha

> and you thought that 2400 bps was fast too I bet. Having started at 300
> bps, I was shocked at how fast 1200 bps was.
>
> that was a couple of eons ago

That reminded me that I still used a 1200 one for a while, too.
When the first 14,400 modems appeared, I could not believe the speed.
The cost was almost that of gold. In fact, they were so expensive that I
had to buy one 50-50 with a friend. A ISA internal one because an
internal one was a little cheaper. We then shared it: one week for me,
one week for him. :-)