Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default BitTorrent

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 14:38 -0800, centos@911networks.com wrote:
> Any suggestion for a 'good' bittorrent client with Centos5.1?

I can't define "good" as I've not used anything else but rtorrent. But
the one available from Rpmforge on my CentOS 5.1 has given me no real
cause for complaint.

With that in mind, I recently signed up at Rpmforge and am trying to do
a build and "rpmize" of the latest 5.2 of bittorrent. It *will* be slow
going as I know *nothing* about many of its prerequisites. But since I
have a very long and diverse development/varied background and a
suitably matched ego with patience out the gazoooooo, I will suceed
eventually I think. If real life didn't keep rearing its ugly head, it
would go faster.

There is also a 6.0-beta out that I intend to attack once the 5.2 is
done.

--
Bill

Old 06-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Jerry Geis

Looks the only way now to grab a DVD is by torrent.

What is the yum install XXXX name to get it on the machine?

I have downloaded the torrent file, but what do I execute to grab the DVD?

Thanks, great effort CentOS Team.

Jerry

Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

Looks the only way now to grab a DVD is by torrent.

What is the yum install XXXX name to get it on the machine?

I have downloaded the torrent file, but what do I execute to grab the DVD?

Thanks, great effort CentOS Team.

Jerry

you need a bittorrent client to grab the DVD
try:
yum install azureus
after that open the .torrent file using azureus and start downloading it, then when you finish burn it on a DVD and boot from it

Old 06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
John R Pierce

Jerry Geis wrote:

Looks the only way now to grab a DVD is by torrent.

What is the yum install XXXX name to get it on the machine?

I have downloaded the torrent file, but what do I execute to grab the
DVD?

you need a torrent application, such as ctorrent or rtorrent for linux,
or utorrent for windows, and you need an open port from outside, almost
any high port will do (if you are behind a NAT firewall, 'forward' this
port to the torrent machine, and configure the torrent program to use
that same port). then; feed the torrent program the .torrent file,
and kick back and let it work.

its good manners to let the torrent 'seed' at least twice the size of
the torrent before shutting it down. if your bandwidth is highly
asymmetric (like ADSL or Cable), configure the torrent program to limit
its outbound to about 80% of your connections total outbound capacity,
and this will hugely smooth things (torrent has a habit of jamming pipes
so hard you can't get anything else done).

Old 06-24-2008, 05:28 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

I used Azureus. Worked fine. The image'll be used for new installs, for
already installed machines yum update works faster.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:43 PM
"Lars Schelde"

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Looks the only way now to grab a DVD is by torrent.
>
> What is the yum install XXXX name to get it on the machine?
>
> I have downloaded the torrent file, but what do I execute to grab the
> DVD?
You can download the dvd-iso (http/ftp) from a mirror-site.
Have a look at:
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

Regards

Lars

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 12:58 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Looks the only way now to grab a DVD is by torrent.
>
> What is the yum install XXXX name to get it on the machine?

I use the rtorrent from rpmforge. Enable that repo and then yum install
rtorrent. It's a lean, mean CLI machine! :-)

AND HURRY UP! My new "fat" pipe (potential 1.25MB/sec) has finally edged
up to 85.5KB/sec. I need the help folks! ;-)

> I have downloaded the torrent file, but what do I execute to grab the DVD?
>
> Thanks, great effort CentOS Team.

Ditto.

BTW: here's a rtorrent command line if you decide on it.

#!/bin/bash
export SD=~/../shared/CentOS
cd $SD
rtorrent
-s $SD
-o check_hash=no,key_layout=qwerty
-o peer_exchange=yes,dht=on
*.torrent

The "peer_ex..." is useless here as this is not a private torrent. You
can drop it. Also, if you don't have multiple torrents, the last line is
OK. Otherwise you can drop it and use <ALT><Backspace> with tab
completion to selectively enable the ones you want to process.

> Jerry
> <snip sig stuff>

Happy torrenting!

HTH
--
Bill

Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 PM

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 12:20:23 pm William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 12:58 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> > Looks the only way now to grab a DVD is by torrent.
> >
> > What is the yum install XXXX name to get it on the machine?
>
> I use the rtorrent from rpmforge. Enable that repo and then yum install
> rtorrent. It's a lean, mean CLI machine! :-)
>
> AND HURRY UP! My new "fat" pipe (potential 1.25MB/sec) has finally edged
> up to 85.5KB/sec. I need the help folks! ;-)

<SNIP>
> BTW: here's a rtorrent command line if you decide on it.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export SD=~/../shared/CentOS
> cd $SD
> rtorrent
> -s $SD
> -o check_hash=no,key_layout=qwerty
> -o peer_exchange=yes,dht=on
> *.torrent

Here is something that might help...

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/bittorrent/qt/bittorrentports.htm

Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Karanbir Singh

William L. Maltby wrote:
> AND HURRY UP! My new "fat" pipe (potential 1.25MB/sec) has finally edged
> up to 85.5KB/sec. I need the help folks! ;-)

Is that for uplink or downlink ? if you are downloading at 85k/sec there
is something wrong with your setup, I can saturage a 100mbps link with
the torrent with no problem ( there is atleast > 600mbps on offer for
the i386 DVD at the moment ).

Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 00:16 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > AND HURRY UP! My new "fat" pipe (potential 1.25MB/sec) has finally edged
> > up to 85.5KB/sec. I need the help folks! ;-)
> >

> Is that for uplink or downlink ? if you are downloading at 85k/sec there
> is something wrong with your setup, I can saturage a 100mbps link with
> the torrent with no problem ( there is atleast > 600mbps on offer for
> the i386 DVD at the moment ).

Downlink. I didn't think anything was wrong with my setup. On
non-torrent downloads I get a very good rate.

I suspected it was because I was "late to the show" and had just fired
it up. Somehow, the *real* announcement got by me in the clutter from
the false announcements from the unwashed masses. After I saw enough
posts making it look like an announcement had been made, I fired it up.
As it takes a little while for the torrent to discover enough peers, I
figured that was the reason.

Hmmm... But you might have something there. Maybe the fact that I
started one via the command line and the other through the UI? It
prompted me to go looking. The 1to6 zipped right along and is done. I
noticed that it had peer connections 8 of 8 from very early in its
lifetime while the DVD had 0 of 8 and has never gone above that.

I think I'll kill DVD and restart it. No help. Stop 1to6 upload restart
the whole shebang. Crap. Peers around 50. Inching up slowly, 71, 81, 88,
96... going back down... Now up to 133KB, 145, ... got as high as 545KB.

Oh well. Must be something about the DVD version. I do see that the 1to6
had peers active. DVD ha{s,d} inactive.

After reviewing the man pages again (the upmteenth time), no help.

--
Bill