Old 12-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Daniel Augusto Martins

Default Where can I find compress and uncompress?

Dear All

Utilities compress and uncompress seem to have disapeared when I migrate
from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5. Anyone knows where we can find them?

Thanks

Old 12-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Johnny Hughes

Daniel Augusto Martins wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Utilities compress and uncompress seem to have disapeared when I migrate
> from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5. Anyone knows where we can find them?
>
> Thanks

yum install ncompress

Old 12-25-2007, 12:53 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Dec 25, 2007 5:10 AM, Daniel Augusto Martins <danmart@eln.gov.br> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Utilities compress and uncompress seem to have disapeared when I migrate
> from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5. Anyone knows where we can find them?

I found the other day gzip and gunzip could work on files created by
compress/uncompress.

Akemi

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Daniel Martins

Yes, gzip and gunzip both work as compress and uncompress. The problem
is that there is a key in compress and uncompress (-) that is used to
inform them to read from stdin so we have to eventually change scripts
that used compress and uncompress to contemplate this feature. In our
case if we changed scripts they runned ou of their md5sum and could not
work anymore.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Daniel Martins wrote:

> Yes, gzip and gunzip both work as compress and uncompress. The problem
> is that there is a key in compress and uncompress (-) that is used to
> inform them to read from stdin so we have to eventually change scripts
> that used compress and uncompress to contemplate this feature. In our
> case if we changed scripts they runned ou of their md5sum and could not
> work anymore.

Then why don't you install ncompress, as has been suggested before?

Ralph