FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Tim Nelson
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Hello fellow CentOS'ers-

I'm trying to install a package from a not-to-be-named repository (privately operated for some proprietary software). They currently have a package I need but offer multiple versions. However, if I simply 'yum install packagename' it defaults to pulling down the most recent package. I would like to pull down the older version of the package but I'm unable to do so.

So, how would you specify version number for a package with two candidates but the same name? I'm at a loss... :-(

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

on 1-6-2009 2:26 PM Tim Nelson spake the following:
> Hello fellow CentOS'ers-
>
> I'm trying to install a package from a not-to-be-named repository (privately operated for some proprietary software). They currently have a package I need but offer multiple versions. However, if I simply 'yum install packagename' it defaults to pulling down the most recent package. I would like to pull down the older version of the package but I'm unable to do so.
>
> So, how would you specify version number for a package with two candidates but the same name? I'm at a loss... :-(
>
I think you have to specify version. In the example;

bind-chroot-9.3.4-6.0.1.P1.el5_2.i386.rpm
bind-chroot-9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.el5_2.i386.rpm

I think you would specify yum install bind-chroot-9.3.4-6.0.1.P1

but a later update will upgrade it anyway.

If there software doesn't work with the newer version, it shouldn't be in
their repo, IMHO.


--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Tim Nelson wrote on Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:26:17 -0600 (CST):

> 'yum install packagename'

yum install packagename-version
(whatever convention they use for their packages)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Vandaman
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Tim Nelson wrote:

> Hello fellow CentOS'ers-
>
> I'm trying to install a package from a not-to-be-named
> repository (privately operated for some proprietary
> software). They currently have a package I need but offer
> multiple versions. However, if I simply 'yum install
> packagename' it defaults to pulling down the most recent
> package. I would like to pull down the older version of the
> package but I'm unable to do so.
>
> So, how would you specify version number for a package with
> two candidates but the same name? I'm at a loss... :-(

Why would the admin of the un-named repo include two versions
unless one could be an update/bugfix? Did you try asking the
admin of that repo? For example here is bash from base and
update on CentOS 4

bash-3.0-19.7.i386.rpm 27-Jul-2008 03:30 1.7M
bash-3.0-19.7.el4_7.1.i386.rpm 20-Oct-2008 14:53 1.7M

Tim Nelson I rather liked your sig in
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-January/070282.html

Wink :-)

Regards,
Vandaman.
-------------------------------------------------------
Report another spam?
Your average reporting time is: 3 hours; Great!
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
noob detector -> 4 noobs top-posting.




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Vandaman wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:31:36 +0000 (GMT):

> Why would the admin of the un-named repo include two versions
> unless one could be an update/bugfix?

So, what? Isn't he entitled to say no to an update if he knows there is a
problem on his setup with it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Vandaman wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:31:36 +0000 (GMT):
>
>> Why would the admin of the un-named repo include two versions
>> unless one could be an update/bugfix?
>
> So, what? Isn't he entitled to say no to an update if he knows there is a
> problem on his setup with it?
>

Yes, very often one person's bug fix is another person's new bug.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

on 1-7-2009 10:00 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:
> Vandaman wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:31:36 +0000 (GMT):
>
>> Why would the admin of the un-named repo include two versions
>> unless one could be an update/bugfix?
>
> So, what? Isn't he entitled to say no to an update if he knows there is a
> problem on his setup with it?
>
> Kai
>
Yes, but yum needs a little coercion to ignore that update.
You would have to exclude that package after you got the older one installed
so it didn't update.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Tim Nelson
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

----- "Scott Silva" <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 1-7-2009 10:00 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:
> > Vandaman wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:31:36 +0000 (GMT):
> >
> >> Why would the admin of the un-named repo include two versions
> >> unless one could be an update/bugfix?
> >
> > So, what? Isn't he entitled to say no to an update if he knows there
> is a
> > problem on his setup with it?
> >
> > Kai
> >
> Yes, but yum needs a little coercion to ignore that update.
> You would have to exclude that package after you got the older one
> installed
> so it didn't update.
>

The repo owner's latest packages technically 'work' but not to our standards hence the reason we're staying behind for now. We're not running any sort of automated 'yum -y update' or anything like that so I don't have to worry about updates causing issues. After all, I'm the only one who has access to the box. :-)

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default Yum Issue.. Installing Older Package Version

Scott Silva wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:48:03 -0800:

> Yes, but yum needs a little coercion to ignore that update.
> You would have to exclude that package after you got the older one installed
> so it didn't update.

Of course, but this wasn't the point of V.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org