Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM
"Mag Gam"

Default ZFS on Linux

I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
seems no other native Linux FS supports it.

My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
important

Any thoughts or ideas?

TIA

Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Les Mikesell

Mag Gam wrote:
> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>
> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
> important
>
> Any thoughts or ideas?

I'd be surprised if anyone is using zfs/fuse/linux combinations
seriously. Why not just run your archive server on opensolaris or
freebsd where zfs runs natively? Or if you want to pretend it is a
linux distro, perhaps nexenta http://www.nexenta.org/os or their
commercial nexentastor version would work. They have a mostly-ubuntu
userland running on an opensolaris kernel.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Vnpenguin

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mag Gam wrote:
>> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
>> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
>> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
>> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>>
>> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
>> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
>> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
>> important
>>
>> Any thoughts or ideas?
>
> I'd be surprised if anyone is using zfs/fuse/linux combinations
> seriously. Why not just run your archive server on opensolaris or
> freebsd where zfs runs natively? Or if you want to pretend it is a
> linux distro, perhaps nexenta http://www.nexenta.org/os or their
> commercial nexentastor version would work. They have a mostly-ubuntu
> userland running on an opensolaris kernel.

Yes, agreed with Les Mikesell. Running zfs on Linux is not a good idea
at all, at least for this moment :-)

--
http://vnoss.org

Old 12-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 28.12.2008 um 20:02 schrieb Les Mikesell:

> Mag Gam wrote:
>> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
>> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M
>> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
>> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>>
>> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
>> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
>> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
>> important
>>
>> Any thoughts or ideas?
>
> I'd be surprised if anyone is using zfs/fuse/linux combinations
> seriously. Why not just run your archive server on opensolaris or
> freebsd where zfs runs natively? Or if you want to pretend it is a
> linux distro, perhaps nexenta http://www.nexenta.org/os or their
> commercial nexentastor version would work. They have a mostly-ubuntu
> userland running on an opensolaris kernel.

Even in FreeBSD-land, you'd need to run the very latest CURRENT.
No advised for production.

Go for opensolaris or Solaris 10U6.

Regards,
Rainer

Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Davide Cittaro

On Dec 28, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Mag Gam wrote:

> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.

Even if fuse implementation of ZFS looks rather stable, I won't
suggest it in a production environment...
We strongly wanted ZFS and we chose for Solaris 10 for our file server.

> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
> important

ZFS really is great. We are now managing three 18Tb archives. It is
not only reliable, it comes with zpool and zfs commands that really
make it easy to manage!
If you don't want Solaris, you can use FreeBSD 7 which supports native
ZFS.

Davide Cittaro
davide.cittaro@ifom-ieo-campus.it

Old 12-28-2008, 06:42 PM
"Mag Gam"

thanks everyone for your fair and balanced opinions and experiences!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Jure Pečar

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:27:10 +0100
Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Mag Gam wrote:

> >> Any thoughts or ideas?
> >
> > I'd be surprised if anyone is using zfs/fuse/linux combinations
> > seriously. Why not just run your archive server on opensolaris or
> > freebsd where zfs runs natively? Or if you want to pretend it is a
> > linux distro, perhaps nexenta http://www.nexenta.org/os or their
> > commercial nexentastor version would work. They have a mostly-ubuntu
> > userland running on an opensolaris kernel.
> >

> Yes, agreed with Les Mikesell. Running zfs on Linux is not a good idea
> at all, at least for this moment :-)

It works (at least I didn't have any data loss in the two months I was
using it), but is painfully slow (fuse has its price). Nexenta is the next
best thing if you want "kinda linux like" environment, altough linux zones
on solaris might also be worth checking.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/

Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Davide Cittaro

On Dec 28, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Jure Pečar wrote:

> Nexenta is the next
> best thing if you want "kinda linux like" environment, altough linux
> zones
> on solaris might also be worth checking.

Definitely, even if support for kernel 2.6 is not completely working
(at least not 2 months ago...).
Check this http://opensolaris.org/os/community/brandz/

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Christopher Chan

Mag Gam wrote:
> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>
> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
> important
>
> Any thoughts or ideas?

Try OpenSolaris. It comes with a package manager that is getting there
and upgrades from one version to newer versions have been relatively
painless for me. These upgrades are not the 'wipe system out and install
latest version of distro' type.

You will have to learn stuff unique to Solaris land though if you are
not already familiar with some of the ways things are done in Solaris.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:57 AM
Bill Campbell

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008, Davide Cittaro wrote:

>On Dec 28, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Mag Gam wrote:
>
>> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
>> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
>> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
>> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>>

>Even if fuse implementation of ZFS looks rather stable, I won't
>suggest it in a production environment...
>We strongly wanted ZFS and we chose for Solaris 10 for our file server.
>
>> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
>> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
>> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
>> important
>
>ZFS really is great. We are now managing three 18Tb archives. It is
>not only reliable, it comes with zpool and zfs commands that really
>make it easy to manage!
>If you don't want Solaris, you can use FreeBSD 7 which supports native
>ZFS.

I would go with Opensolaris. There has been quite a bit of
messaging on the freebsd lists on zfs that give me the impression
that zfs on freebsd is not really ready for prime time.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

The most serious doubt that has been thrown on the authenticity of the
biblical miracles is the fact that most of the witnesses in regard to
them were fishermen. -- Arthur Binstead