Old 12-23-2007, 01:47 AM
"Dave"

Default sandisk mp3 player

Hello,
Got a 2gb mp3 player. The issue is it needs a usb2 card and the only
available one is on a centos 5.1 box. I was wondering how do i get this
device to show up? I'd like to share it's directories via samba, so that
windows users can manipulate it's files, add more, etc.

Thanks.
Dave.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 AM
John R Pierce

Dave wrote:

Hello,
Got a 2gb mp3 player. The issue is it needs a usb2 card and the
only available one is on a centos 5.1 box. I was wondering how do i
get this device to show up? I'd like to share it's directories via
samba, so that windows users can manipulate it's files, add more, etc.

it -should- work on USB1, just slower.

but, um, plug it in, it should be visible to centos as a FAT32 USB disk
drive, you should be able to share that via samba.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Tim Wunder

On Saturday 22 December 2007 09:47:43 pm Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> Got a 2gb mp3 player. The issue is it needs a usb2 card and the only
> available one is on a centos 5.1 box. I was wondering how do i get this
> device to show up? I'd like to share it's directories via samba, so that
> windows users can manipulate it's files, add more, etc.

It should get ideintified as a USB storage device and get automounted as a DOS
partition. Not sure how effective samba would be at exporting a mounted DOS
partion, though.

HTH,
Tim

--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6
KDE: 3.5.8-1 Fedora

Old 12-23-2007, 02:19 AM
"Dave"

Hi,
Thanks, plugged it in. What do i use to find it?
Thanks.

Dave.
PS, it's a sandisk clip something mp3 player, 2 gb capacity.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:56 AM
John R Pierce

Dave wrote:

Thanks, plugged it in. What do i use to find it? Thanks.

if it automounted, `df` or `mount` should show the path its mounted on.

otherwise, the device name should be shown near the end of `dmesg`, and
you should be able to mount it like any other storage device, create a
root directory to mount it under (mkdir /sandisk), put an entry for it
in /etc/fstab with the file system type of fat32, and mount it...