Old 12-22-2007, 04:50 PM
"stephen goldman"

Default Request on Cent OS insight

*
Hello List,
**** I am getting familar with
CentOS and using Rel 4.6. My goal is to get a automated update *(email)* of
system updates.
I found the link below in the WIKI. Additionally I
have enable "yum" to run as a service int 345 and started it.
yum update from the command line works
fine-
*
*** There are three scripts
indicated on the web link below :
*
http://wiki.centos.org/YumCheckOrInstallUpdates
*
usr/bin/yum-check***********
( not on the machine)
***
/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron:* ( not on the
machine)
*
there a is file named yum.cron at this location-
*
[root@bmc-4 cron.daily]# cat yum.cron

#!/bin/sh
*
if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ];
then
******* /usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0
-y update yum
******* /usr/bin/yum -R 10
-e 0 -d 0 -y shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum
fi
*
etc/sysconfig/yum-check:* (not on the machine)
*
*
I am not sure what to do with the
information provided. Can others point me in a direction
please..
*
The documentation is not clear.
*
Thanks,
*
Stephen
Stephen Goldman
Systems Administrator
MIT
Biology
617-452-2595
sgoldman@mit.edu

Old 12-22-2007, 06:48 PM
John R Pierce

stephen goldman wrote:

Hello List,
I am getting familar with CentOS and using Rel 4.6. My goal is to
get a automated update *(email)* of system updates.
I found the link below in the WIKI. Additionally I have enable "yum"
to run as a service int 345 and started it.

yum update from the command line works fine-

There are three scripts indicated on the web link below :

http://wiki.centos.org/YumCheckOrInstallUpdates

**
/_I am not sure what to do with the information provided. Can others
point me in a direction please_/..

the wiki page is suggesting you CREATE those three scripts.

any script in /etc/cron.daily gets run once a day. that yum.cron
script reads the values in /etc/sysconfig/yum-check and either does the
updates, or runs the /usr/bin/yum-check script as instructed.