Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Kenneth Porter

Default Trackerless torrents

On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:30 PM -0500 "William L. Maltby"
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

iptables -A OUTPUT -d torrent.centos.org -p tcp --dport 6969 -j DROP

Thanks Kenneth. IIRC, I can use the IP to avoid DNS resolution and do it
faster? Yep just did "man ..." and see that.

The iptables command stores the resolved IP in the kernel. So the DNS
lookup is done once when you install the rule, not each time a packet is
passed through the rule.

If you read the rules back out with "iptables -L -n" or iptables-save,
you'll see the raw IP.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 13:03 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:30 PM -0500 "William L. Maltby"
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >> iptables -A OUTPUT -d torrent.centos.org -p tcp --dport 6969 -j DROP
> >
> > Thanks Kenneth. IIRC, I can use the IP to avoid DNS resolution and do it
> > faster? Yep just did "man ..." and see that.
>
> The iptables command stores the resolved IP in the kernel. So the DNS
> lookup is done once when you install the rule, not each time a packet is
> passed through the rule.
>
> If you read the rules back out with "iptables -L -n" or iptables-save,
> you'll see the raw IP.

Yeah. As normal, *after* I posted I remembered that from some very early
and brief work with it (or was it ipchains?). I also remembered how to
delete a specific rule (or was that in ipchains too?).

Anyway, I got the needed pointers. After I do some personal stuff this
weekend, I plan to hit it.

--
Bill

Old 12-23-2007, 03:57 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 07:42 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 18:20 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> > William L. Maltby wrote:
> > > Ah, yes. It sounds so simple. <snip>
> > > ... In fact, the /usr/share/doc bitorrent files say I need to
> > > start with a tracker.
> > >

> > when the CentOS tracker was down, I fired up uTorrent on a Windows box
> > w/ the 5.1 i386 dvd torrent, and it managed to find a few dozen peers
> > in a few minutes and pretty quickly was downloading at close to my
> > wirespeed. Within about half an hour, I was uploading at 60% of my
> > bandwidth and still climbing, and it showed that there were 118 or
> > something available peers, but uTorrent tends to only connect to 30 or
> > so at once to keep the traffic efficient.
>
> Still blissful (ignorance is ...), hit me with a clue bat if I'm way off
> base here.
>
> Now, that makes sense (IIUC the implications of all I've read and what
> y'all have posted). You had already been successfully connected and
> acquired the DHT during previous sessions. I can guess that this would
> be used in place of an (un?)available tracker.
>
> <snip a bunch of guesses and theorizing>

> > i just fired it back up to go ahead and share, I'm seeing 180 seeds and
> > 190 peers on i386, and 116/54 on x86_64... I'll leave it running for
> > the holidays at least.
>
> I killed the rtorrent for the two 5.1 torrents and started bittorrent-
> GUI on them. All is working well and the rtorrent, delivering 4.6 stuff,
> and bittorrent (5.1 stuff) are playing nicely and sharing the bandwidth
> well.
>
> After seeding for an indeterminate time, I'll kill the GUI and start the
> console or ncurses bittorrent with the --trackerless option and see if
> it uses the DHT/routing and other information that bittorrent seems to
> stash in ~/.bittorrent/data directory. This depends on the presence of
> other active clients, of course.
>
> I'll post backin a day or two.

No go. See my reply, later today, to

Re: [CentOS] Trackerless torrents (was: Can't connect to torrent
tracker)

Briefly, with the bittorrent from Rpmforge, which is old, a .torrent
file that specifies a tracker cause the bittorrent to fail if the
tracker can not be contacted.

That other reply includes a compressed "log" of activities and I would
be interested what results other clients give when the same test is
emulated.

> Meanwhile, redundancy anyone?
> <snip>

I'll do an abbreviated emulation of these tests with rtorrent later, but
I expect similar results.

--
Bill