Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

Default saslauth in postfix 2.2 on CentOS 4

Hi All,

I have a mail server with CentOS 4 (fully updated) running dovecot and
postfix. I have a couple of virtual domains, so I've setup postfix and
dovecot accordingly. That is, dovecot is doing the auth for internal
hosts, and postfix is handling sending/receiving for both domains.

What I want to do now is open up pop3s and smtp over TLS, which will
give me access to my two domains from external clients. The pop3s bit
was easy, and my tests have been successful. The hard bit is the smtp
over TLS. Since I'm using dovecot to handle the authentication, how do I
tell postfix that the sasl auth should be passed to dovecot?

I know how to do this in CentOS 5 since it has postfix 2.3, and that
version has support for dovecot authentication. So far, I haven't been
able to figure out how to do the same thing in CentOS 4 and postfix
2.2.

Any tips?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux

Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 AM
David Hrbáč

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu napsal(a):
> Hi All,
>
> I have a mail server with CentOS 4 (fully updated) running dovecot and
> postfix. I have a couple of virtual domains, so I've setup postfix and
> dovecot accordingly. That is, dovecot is doing the auth for internal
> hosts, and postfix is handling sending/receiving for both domains.
>
> What I want to do now is open up pop3s and smtp over TLS, which will
> give me access to my two domains from external clients. The pop3s bit
> was easy, and my tests have been successful. The hard bit is the smtp
> over TLS. Since I'm using dovecot to handle the authentication, how do I
> tell postfix that the sasl auth should be passed to dovecot?
>
> I know how to do this in CentOS 5 since it has postfix 2.3, and that
> version has support for dovecot authentication. So far, I haven't been
> able to figure out how to do the same thing in CentOS 4 and postfix
> 2.2.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

Ranbir,
why don't you let postfix authorise itself via sasl?
http://yocum.org/faqs/postfix-tls-sasl.html
David

Old 12-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 13:20 +0100, David Hrbáč wrote:
> Ranbir,
> why don't you let postfix authorise itself via sasl?
> http://yocum.org/faqs/postfix-tls-sasl.html
> David

That would be ideal, but I have virtual users, and dovecot is managing
them.

I've done some reading, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to use
dovecot for the sasl auth. I would have to upgrade postfix and dovecot
on this CentOS 4 box to an unsupported version. Damn.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.22.9-61.fc6 i686 GNU/Linux
09:28:51 up 5 days, 7:58, 1 user, load average: 0.89, 0.79, 0.57

Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Christopher Chan

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

why don't you let postfix authorise itself via sasl?
http://yocum.org/faqs/postfix-tls-sasl.html
David

That would be ideal, but I have virtual users, and dovecot is managing
them.

I've done some reading, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to use
dovecot for the sasl auth. I would have to upgrade postfix and dovecot
on this CentOS 4 box to an unsupported version. Damn.

I run postfix 2.3.x without any problems at all.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
David Hrbáč

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu napsal(a):
> That would be ideal, but I have virtual users, and dovecot is managing
> them.
>
> I've done some reading, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to use
> dovecot for the sasl auth. I would have to upgrade postfix and dovecot
> on this CentOS 4 box to an unsupported version. Damn.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by managed with dovecot...
If you mean that you have users in DB (mysql, etc.) I do not see any
reason why wouldn't postfix authorise users itself. BTW despite of I'm
great TLS fan, as I maintain TLS EL4/5 packages for FTP, HTTP
http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el4/hrb-tls/stable/i386/repodata/ , with SMTP I
would recommend to stick SSL and dovecot-0.99.11-8.EL4 works smoothly
with imaps, pop3s.
David