Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 AM
John R Pierce

Default pop3 attack

David G. Miller wrote:
> Toby Bluhm <tkb@alltechmedusa.com> wrote:
>

>> Or switch to postfix. I plunked "relayhost = smtp-server.roadrunner.com"
>> into main.cf & away it went.
>>
> Having read the rest of the thread, I respond at the risk of furthering
> the flames. The sendmail configuration line is just as trivial:
>
> define('SMART_HOST','[smarthost.example.net]')dnl
>
> Check the quoting since the article uses matching left and right single
> quotes which is probably a figment of the editor used for writing the
> article.

actually, its a figment of M4's bizarroworld syntax. you need the ` '
around strings in M4 macros, and that sendmail.mc is fed to M4 to
generate the byzantine sendmail.cf.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Agile Aspect

James Pifer wrote:
>> The masquerading options are for a different purpose.
>> I'm glad you got it sorted out.
>>

> Although I'm able to send mail to most people without a problem using
> smarthost, I still have a few that bounce back with errors like:
> Your message was rejected by mail.lance.com for the following reason:
>
> Service unavailable; Client host [cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com] blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=70.62.90.185
>
> I'm using the smarthost server that I should be using according to the information:
> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
>
> Although I'm in a residential IP range, my connection is Business Class, so sending smtp mail is not restricted (at least contractually).
>
> Why would I still have this problem if I'm using smarthost? Is there a way to resolve it?

The problem has nothing to do with the Smart host server entry.

Read the information in the URL above and contact your ISP.

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of
the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers,
both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by
Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test
shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust
under the United States."

Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 14:51 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> > The masquerading options are for a different purpose.
> > I'm glad you got it sorted out.
>

> Although I'm able to send mail to most people without a problem using
> smarthost, I still have a few that bounce back with errors like:
> Your message was rejected by mail.lance.com for the following reason:
>
> Service unavailable; Client host [cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com] blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=70.62.90.185
>
> I'm using the smarthost server that I should be using according to the information:
> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
>
> Although I'm in a residential IP range, my connection is Business Class, so sending smtp mail is not restricted (at least contractually).
>
> Why would I still have this problem if I'm using smarthost? Is there a way to resolve it?

I would contact the RR support folks. I think they are the ones that
would need to clean up the blacklist entry with Spamhaus. They should
also be able to help ensure that your configuration is right. Just be
prepared to get through the level 1 support delays before you get any
help though. That's been my experience.

> Thanks,
> James
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Bill Campbell

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009, William L. Maltby wrote:

>On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 14:51 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
>> > The masquerading options are for a different purpose.
>> > I'm glad you got it sorted out.
>>

>> Although I'm able to send mail to most people without a problem using
>> smarthost, I still have a few that bounce back with errors like:
>> Your message was rejected by mail.lance.com for the following reason:
>>
>> Service unavailable; Client host [cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com] blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=70.62.90.185
>>
>> I'm using the smarthost server that I should be using according to the information:
>> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
>>
>> Although I'm in a residential IP range, my connection is Business Class, so sending smtp mail is not restricted (at least contractually).
>>
>> Why would I still have this problem if I'm using smarthost? Is there a way to resolve it?
>
>I would contact the RR support folks. I think they are the ones that
>would need to clean up the blacklist entry with Spamhaus. They should
>also be able to help ensure that your configuration is right. Just be
>prepared to get through the level 1 support delays before you get any
>help though. That's been my experience.

Your IP address, 70.62.90.185 is in two DNSRBLs we check,
dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net and zen.spamhaus.org. The sorbs listing is
of dynamic IP addresses, and zen is a conglomeration of several
of the spamhaus.net DNSRBLs.

Both of these DNSRBLs are widely used, thus it would be a good
idea to either get a static IP from Road Runner that's not listed
in either of these, or to use a smart-host for outgoing e-mail
that will accept mail from your server regardless of the DNSRBL
listings.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

DOS: n., A small annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
crashes, usually just before saving a massive project. Easily cured by
UNIX. See also MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, DR-DOS.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Glenn

At 02:05 PM 3/13/2009, you wrote:
>James Pifer wrote:
> >> The masquerading options are for a different purpose.
> >> I'm glad you got it sorted out.
> >>

> > Although I'm able to send mail to most people without a problem using
> > smarthost, I still have a few that bounce back with errors like:
> > Your message was rejected by mail.lance.com for the following reason:
> >
> > Service unavailable; Client host [cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com]
> blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=70.62.90.185
> >
> > I'm using the smarthost server that I should be using according
> to the information:
> > define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
> >
> > Although I'm in a residential IP range, my connection is Business
> Class, so sending smtp mail is not restricted (at least contractually).
> >
> > Why would I still have this problem if I'm using smarthost? Is
> there a way to resolve it?
> >
>The problem has nothing to do with the Smart host server entry.
>
>Read the information in the URL above and contact your ISP.

Adding to that, Your ISP has a lot of zombied, sick clients on it. I
find it hard to believe the number of zombied computers on the
RoadRunner network trying to hit my mail server. Your upstream ISP
server is letting a lot of junk through by lack of control by your
ISP. Now, they've been black listed by spamhaus.org for that content.

Unfortunately you chose a bad ISP. Complain to them and/or threaten
to take your business elsewhere, but their problem is so large, they
probably can't even begin to put a dent in it now!

Glenn

Old 03-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Michel van Deventer

Hi,

> RR charges you an extra $50/mo for static ip! I don't have many other
> choices for a decent high speed connection. DSL is too slow in my area.
We have some ISP's here in the Netherlands which have spam relayed
through their mailservers, which gives the same problem, blacklisted
smarthosts of big ISPs.
One way to get around it is to get yourself a VPS (virtual private
server) for a small amount ($20/month?) and set up your own
'smarthost' (maybe together with some friends/coworkers?). You can then
even use a non-standard port to relay your mail through it and even
encrypt if you wish.
I have my smarthost set up at such a server because my laptop goes
around different networks and isps and I don't want to change my
configuration every time

regards,

Michel

Old 03-13-2009, 05:51 PM
James Pifer

Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, James Pifer wrote:

> RR charges you an extra $50/mo for static ip! I don't have many other
> choices for a decent high speed connection. DSL is too slow in my area.

I have RR Business Class in in upstate NY, and TW charge me $20/mo for
a static IP.

Steve

Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 PM
James Pifer

> The problem has nothing to do with the Smart host server entry.
>
> Read the information in the URL above and contact your ISP.

I understand the problem is I'm in a residential range of dynamic IP,
even though I have commercial class, and I DID read the information in
the URL. That's how I verified I am using the right host for smarthost.

>From the site:
****
Outbound Email Policy of Time Warner Cable/Road Runner for this IP
range:

It is the policy of Time Warner Cable/Road Runner to share with other
entities lists of our dynamic IP address space. While Time Warner
Cable/Road Runner does not presently forbid customers from sending out
mail directly from such space, it recognizes that others may wish to
refuse mail from such space, and so Time Warner Cable/Road Runner makes
that space known to others to facilitate their enforcement of their
policies. Customers finding their mail refused by others due to a PBL
listing should send their outbound mail through the outbound mail server
designated for them;
****

So this sounds like smarthost. So if it has nothing to do with
smarthost, is there a work around for it? The mail is being sent through
the ISP's mail server, but the destination mail server is refusing it
based on the domain name lookup? Why doesn't the other mail server see
it being delivered by the ISP's server and accept it?

I talked to Time Warner support. First guy I talked to gives me the
standard line that they don't support linux and he's never heard of
sendmail. Ugh!

I finally argued to get the call escalated. This person asked what host
I was sending through and felt like that should work. He is going to
request the IP get removed from the PBL, but I'm not liking my
chances....

Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Ned Slider

James Pifer wrote:
>> The masquerading options are for a different purpose.
>> I'm glad you got it sorted out.
>

> Although I'm able to send mail to most people without a problem using
> smarthost, I still have a few that bounce back with errors like:
> Your message was rejected by mail.lance.com for the following reason:
>
> Service unavailable; Client host [cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com] blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=70.62.90.185
>
> I'm using the smarthost server that I should be using according to the information:
> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl

Well, according to the headers on this message, your mail does indeed
appear to be correctly routed through your smarthost - in this instance
cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com [75.180.132.122].

It looks to me like the server above is checking all hops against
zen.spamhaus.org rather than just the last external connection - that's
the only reason I can see for it detecting and rejecting your mail
(assuming your smarthost was correctly used to send that mail).

I use zen.spamhaus.org on my server, so you're welcome to send a test
message directly to me off list and see if it bounces or not (you will
get greylisted first for 60 seconds)

> Although I'm in a residential IP range, my connection is Business Class, so sending smtp mail is not restricted (at least contractually).

Regardless, as others have pointed out your IP address is still listed
in pbl on zen.spamhaus.org so it's pretty futile trying to send mail
directly.

> Why would I still have this problem if I'm using smarthost? Is there a way to resolve it?

It shouldn't if everything is configured correctly. As I said above, to
me it looks more like the receiving server is misconfigured. That might
be intentional, who knows, but they will get FPs as a result from anyone
like yourself who correctly relays mail through their ISP.