Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Spiro Harvey

Default pop3 attack

> > why change software just because one configuration line is
> > different?
> Main point was the RR relay host works.

So your solution is to change software?

Wouldn't it be smarter to figure out what the problem actually is?
Because as you say, the RR host doesn't appear to be the problem. So if
he changed software, what are the chances that his problem will still
exist? Pretty high I imagine.

Even if it turns out the RR host *is* the problem, what would he
achieve in changing software?

Let me do the math: zero, multiplied by zero, carry the zero...

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz

Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Spiro Harvey wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:33:24 +1300:

> Let me do the math: zero, multiplied by zero, carry the zero...

It's simpler for non-experts to change the postfix configuration than to
change the sendmail configuration. So, why shouldn't he not suggest it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Scott Silva

on 12-10-2008 4:32 PM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:
> Spiro Harvey wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:33:24 +1300:
>
>> Let me do the math: zero, multiplied by zero, carry the zero...
>
> It's simpler for non-experts to change the postfix configuration than to
> change the sendmail configuration. So, why shouldn't he not suggest it?
>
> Kai

But not simple for a non-expert to completely change MTA's, and learn new from
scratch.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Spiro Harvey

> It's simpler for non-experts to change the postfix configuration than
> to change the sendmail configuration. So, why shouldn't he not
> suggest it?

because it's stupid, lazy advice.

1: it's easy for non-experts to edit the sendmail configuration too...
as long as they're editing the mc file, not the cf.

2: changing software doesn't help solve the problem.

3: what if he has a bunch of milters or related programs that rely on
sendmail? are they all available for postfix? what needs to be changed
to match his current environment? have you thought about that? has
anyone asked James that before recommending he changes his software?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Bill Campbell

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008, Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> Or switch to postfix. I plunked "relayhost =
>> smtp-server.roadrunner.com" into main.cf & away it went.
>
>why change software just because one configuration line is different?

I've spent almost 20 years avoiding sendmail :-).

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Taking the State wherever found, striking into its history at
any point, one sees no way to differentiate the activities of its
founders, administrators, and beneficiaries from those of a
professional-criminal class. -- Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, The State

Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 AM
MHR

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> It's simpler for non-experts to change the postfix configuration than to
> change the sendmail configuration. So, why shouldn't he not suggest it?

According to my reading of this, you're asking, "Why should he suggest it?"

Is this not the opposite of what you meant? (Rhetorical - I think we
understood you anyway.... :-)

mhr

Old 12-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Toby Bluhm

Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> It's simpler for non-experts to change the postfix configuration than
>> to change the sendmail configuration. So, why shouldn't he not
>> suggest it?
>
> because it's stupid, lazy advice.

Will it not work? Will it make someone's brain rot and fall out? Could
one switch to postfix and still remain a civil person?

Would you be able to imagine the words "If you're tired of sendmail . .
" at the beginning of my first post as perhaps an alternate theory to my
intent?

--
tkb

Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

sos.net.nz>

Spiro Harvey wrote on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:56:04 +1300:

> 3: what if he has a bunch of milters or related programs that rely on
> sendmail? are they all available for postfix? what needs to be changed
> to match his current environment? have you thought about that? has
> anyone asked James that before recommending he changes his software?

He should know about his system. It was valid advice by Toby and the OP
can use it or not. He's possibly got a brain. Apparently you think he
doesn't. There was no need to react that snappy.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 AM
James Pifer

> I think all the masquerade options are causing your problems. Just set the
> proper smarthost and restore the other options to what they were and then test.

Scott,

Thanks, removing the masquerade options did fix it. I'm back to using
smarthost instead of mailertable. Thanks.

Also, thanks to everyone that responded.

James

Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 PM
"David G. Miller"

Toby Bluhm <tkb@alltechmedusa.com> wrote:

> Or switch to postfix. I plunked "relayhost = smtp-server.roadrunner.com"
> into main.cf & away it went.
Having read the rest of the thread, I respond at the risk of furthering
the flames. The sendmail configuration line is just as trivial:

define('SMART_HOST','[smarthost.example.net]')dnl

Check the quoting since the article uses matching left and right single
quotes which is probably a figment of the editor used for writing the
article.

Here's the reference if you'd like more information:

http://www.elandsys.com/resources/sendmail/smarthost.html

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce