Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
James Pifer

Default pop3 attack

> so, using a roadrunner mail server as a "smarthost" is the only viable
> choice

I looked at it too. On PBL. So it's possible that Time Warner just
recently updated the list or something?

Anyway, I tried setting up smarthost and was not able to get it to work,
but I was successful setting up mailertable for .com, .net, and .org so
these are being relayed through time warner's mail server. That should
cover most of it.

I'm watching my maillog today and I don't see anything out of the
ordinary.

James

Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Bill Campbell wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:16:58 -0800:

> Your IP address, 70.62.90.185, is listed on zen.spamhaus.org, and
> you can probably go to their web site to see why it's listed.

Well, it's not his fault:

http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL238253

Roadrunner is not meant for mailservers. I have been blocking them already
for years.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Scott Silva

on 12-10-2008 9:16 AM Bill Campbell spake the following:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008, James Pifer wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 16:26 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
>>> Thanks to all. For now I've stopped it using iptables. I tried stopping
>>> it at my router without success, yet another reason to replace it! I
>>> will also report it to abuse@covad.net.
>>>
>> My issues have gotten worse. Apparently over the last few days my ip
>> address has gotten blacklisted. No idea why. Even though I have a
>> commercial class cable modem service, my ip is residential because it
>> comes to my house. But I've been running my mail server for several
>> years and never had an issue.
>
> Your IP address, 70.62.90.185, is listed on zen.spamhaus.org, and
> you can probably go to their web site to see why it's listed.

This address is on the PBL because Time Warner says it shouldn't be sending
e-mail. He will have to use roadrunners smarthost, and see if they allow it.
If they consider it a residential account, their AUP probably bans running any
servers anyway, so he will have to deal with them.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:
<snip>
>> Your IP address, 70.62.90.185, is listed on zen.spamhaus.org, and
>> you can probably go to their web site to see why it's listed.

> It's listed on zen.spamhaus.org because it's in pbl.spamhaus.org which
> is a policy blocklist:
>
> http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL238253
>
> Time Warner Cable/Road Runner's policy is not to permit outbound email
> for this IP address range.
>
> There is no indication your server has been compromised or abused, just
> that Time Warner Cable/Road Runner have decided you shouldn't be running
> a mail server on that IP address range.
>
> Sspamhaus.org is a hugely popular list so this is going to be a big
> problem for you.

Spamhaus for sure is hugely popular. My web hosting ISP (OLM in CT)
started using it and I was having problems using SMTP, because the
Dynamic IP's we were getting from our local ISP were frequently listed
on Spamhaus. I gave up and began using Gmail. No problems sending
email now. :-)

Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

James Pifer wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:26:53 -0500:

> Anyway, I tried setting up smarthost and was not able to get it to work,

You should then contact their support. It got to work.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Scott Silva

on 12-10-2008 8:02 AM James Pifer spake the following:
> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 16:26 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
>> Thanks to all. For now I've stopped it using iptables. I tried stopping
>> it at my router without success, yet another reason to replace it! I
>> will also report it to abuse@covad.net.
>>

> My issues have gotten worse. Apparently over the last few days my ip
> address has gotten blacklisted. No idea why. Even though I have a
> commercial class cable modem service, my ip is residential because it
> comes to my house. But I've been running my mail server for several
> years and never had an issue.
>
> I've tried adding these lines to my sendmailmc and rebuilding it, but
> then nothing routes, not even local.
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
> MASQUERADE_AS(carolina.rr.com)dnl
> FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
>
> Now I'm using mailertable and that appears to be working.
>
> I'm not even sure this message with get to this list. Seems like I
> haven't received any centos list mail in a while. I have on my other
> lists though.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> James
I think all the masquerade options are causing your problems. Just set the
proper smarthost and restore the other options to what they were and then test.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Toby Bluhm

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 12-10-2008 8:02 AM James Pifer spake the following:
>> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 16:26 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
>>> Thanks to all. For now I've stopped it using iptables. I tried stopping
>>> it at my router without success, yet another reason to replace it! I
>>> will also report it to abuse@covad.net.
>>>
>> My issues have gotten worse. Apparently over the last few days my ip
>> address has gotten blacklisted. No idea why. Even though I have a
>> commercial class cable modem service, my ip is residential because it
>> comes to my house. But I've been running my mail server for several
>> years and never had an issue.
>>
>> I've tried adding these lines to my sendmailmc and rebuilding it, but
>> then nothing routes, not even local.
>>
>> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
>> MASQUERADE_AS(carolina.rr.com)dnl
>> FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
>> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
>>
>> Now I'm using mailertable and that appears to be working.
>>
>> I'm not even sure this message with get to this list. Seems like I
>> haven't received any centos list mail in a while. I have on my other
>> lists though.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
> I think all the masquerade options are causing your problems. Just set the
> proper smarthost and restore the other options to what they were and then test.

Or switch to postfix. I plunked "relayhost = smtp-server.roadrunner.com"
into main.cf & away it went.

--
tkb

Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Spiro Harvey

> >> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
> >> MASQUERADE_AS(carolina.rr.com)dnl
> Or switch to postfix. I plunked "relayhost =
> smtp-server.roadrunner.com" into main.cf & away it went.

why change software just because one configuration line is different?

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz

Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
John R Pierce

James Pifer wrote:
> I've tried adding these lines to my sendmailmc and rebuilding it, but
> then nothing routes, not even local.
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp-server.carolina.rr.com')dnl
> MASQUERADE_AS(carolina.rr.com)dnl
> FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl

why are you using MASQUERADE_AS ?!?

you should be able to do this with just the SMART_HOST line.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Toby Bluhm

Spiro Harvey wrote:

> why change software just because one configuration line is different?

Main point was the RR relay host works.

--
tkb