Old 12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default Monitor Blanking

Jim Perrin wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:03:04 -0500:

> setterm -powersave off -blank 0
> xset s off

I had a look at these options as I want to make the system shut off the
monitor instead of just blanking the screen. But I can't make it happen,
the command options as explained in the man page don't work.

Example:
xset dpms off 300

should shut it off after 300 seconds, but xset complains about an "unknown
option". It does that for other dpms options as well. So, I cannot set any
dpms options.

xset dpms force off
does seem to shut off the monitor, but only for a second.

xset q
shows some defaults for suspend, standby, off. Off should happen after
2400 seconds. Just that this sure doesn't happen.

I have now disabled the screensaver with xset s off. Could this have
prevented the monitor from shutting off? (if so, setting a blank
screensaver as a default is pretty stupid in my opinion.)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany