FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
William Warren
 
Default Samba issue

for some reason I cannot to my samba server on centos 4.5 with any other
linux distro. I have tried pclinuxos, kubuntu, fc7. I have entered the
correct credentials in the correct case to no avail. What's funny is my
winders machines can connect just fine. Any ideas?



--
My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.


-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099
Machines:
206822
256638
276825
http://counter.li.org/
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Craig White
 
Default Samba issue

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 18:21 -0500, William Warren wrote:
> for some reason I cannot to my samba server on centos 4.5 with any other
> linux distro. I have tried pclinuxos, kubuntu, fc7. I have entered the
> correct credentials in the correct case to no avail. What's funny is my
> winders machines can connect just fine. Any ideas?
----
smbclient is your friend... (I'm snipping massive amounts out but you
should get the idea)

# smbclient -L SRV1
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[TH] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
netlogon Disk Network Logon Service
<<<snip>>>
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[TH] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2]

Server Comment
--------- -------
SRV1 Samba Server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
TH SRV1

# smbclient -L SRV1 -U craig
Password:
Domain=[TH] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2]

# smbclient //srv1/netlogon
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[TH] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2]
smb: > ls
. D 0 Tue Oct 23 14:22:34
2007
.. D 0 Sat Nov 24 07:09:22
2007
logon.bat A 223 Thu May 3 13:09:21
2007
IFMEMBER.EXE A 10240 Thu Dec 2 14:53:52
1999
accounting.bat A 101 Thu May 3 13:07:43
2007
administrative.bat A 109 Thu May 3 13:05:49
2007

33725 blocks of size 8388608. 22659 blocks available
smb: > quit

# smbclient //srv1/netlogon -U craig
Password:
Domain=[TH] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2]
smb: >

Craig

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"
 
Default Samba issue

For some reason Samba seems to have stopped working on all 3 of my
Kubuntu boxes at the same time, about 2 days ago. This seems suspicious
somehow. Do you know if there was an update of some kind that broke
Samba on Kubuntu?

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Alvin
 
Default Samba issue

On Thursday 26 November 2009 00:17:58 Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> For some reason Samba seems to have stopped working on all 3 of my
> Kubuntu boxes at the same time, about 2 days ago. This seems suspicious
> somehow. Do you know if there was an update of some kind that broke
> Samba on Kubuntu?

Well, there is bug #462169, mentioned in the release notes:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseNotes#Samba%20nmbd%20daemon%20not%20started %20during%20boot

If that is the case, see if you can restart samba:
$ sudo service samba restart

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2009, 01:39 AM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"
 
Default Samba issue

Alvin wrote:
> On Thursday 26 November 2009 00:17:58 Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> For some reason Samba seems to have stopped working on all 3 of my
>> Kubuntu boxes at the same time, about 2 days ago. This seems suspicious
>> somehow. Do you know if there was an update of some kind that broke
>> Samba on Kubuntu?
>>
>
> Well, there is bug #462169, mentioned in the release notes:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseNotes#Samba%20nmbd%20daemon%20not%20started %20during%20boot
>
> If that is the case, see if you can restart samba:
> $ sudo service samba restart
>
I don't think that is it. After some more searching I tried connecting
using IP addresses instead of server names, and that seems to work OK.
But I am still puzzled as to why three different machines would suddenly
decide to stop finding server names all at the same time.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"Follow your dream! Unless it's the one where you're at work in your
underwear during a fire drill."--Phil Proctor

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher
 
Default Samba issue

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> Alvin wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 26 November 2009 00:17:58 Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>>
>>
>>> For some reason Samba seems to have stopped working on all 3 of my
>>> Kubuntu boxes at the same time, about 2 days ago. This seems suspicious
>>> somehow. Do you know if there was an update of some kind that broke
>>> Samba on Kubuntu?
>>>
>>>
>> Well, there is bug #462169, mentioned in the release notes:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseNotes#Samba%20nmbd%20daemon%20not%20started %20during%20boot
>>
>> If that is the case, see if you can restart samba:
>> $ sudo service samba restart
>>
>>
> I don't think that is it. After some more searching I tried connecting
> using IP addresses instead of server names, and that seems to work OK.
> But I am still puzzled as to why three different machines would suddenly
> decide to stop finding server names all at the same time.
>
>
ComA: I'm the master browser
ComB: Yeah right
ComC: Got lost you too, I'm the boss here.

Big tussle ensures.

Okay, joke over. What are you using for name resolution? WINS or DNS?

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-29-2009, 12:12 AM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"
 
Default Samba issue

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>
>> Alvin wrote:
>>
>>
>>> On Thursday 26 November 2009 00:17:58 Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> For some reason Samba seems to have stopped working on all 3 of my
>>>> Kubuntu boxes at the same time, about 2 days ago. This seems suspicious
>>>> somehow. Do you know if there was an update of some kind that broke
>>>> Samba on Kubuntu?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Well, there is bug #462169, mentioned in the release notes:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseNotes#Samba%20nmbd%20daemon%20not%20started %20during%20boot
>>>
>>> If that is the case, see if you can restart samba:
>>> $ sudo service samba restart
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I don't think that is it. After some more searching I tried connecting
>> using IP addresses instead of server names, and that seems to work OK.
>> But I am still puzzled as to why three different machines would suddenly
>> decide to stop finding server names all at the same time.
>>
>>
>>
> ComA: I'm the master browser
> ComB: Yeah right
> ComC: Got lost you too, I'm the boss here.
>
> Big tussle ensures.
>
> Okay, joke over. What are you using for name resolution? WINS or DNS
I liked the joke, though. I just wish I had a good answer to the
question. I am using a Workgroup, and I don't recall that the question
of name resolution ever came up. Now that you bring it up, though, it
does sound like a relevant detail. Would one of my Windows machines be
the likely Master Browser?

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"Follow your dream! Unless it's the one where you're at work in your
underwear during a fire drill."--Phil Proctor

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Tom H
 
Default Samba issue

> I am using a Workgroup, and I don't recall that the question of name
> resolution ever came up. Now that you bring it up, though, it does sound
> like a relevant detail. Would one of my Windows machines be the likely
> Master Browser?

To find the master browser:
nmblookup youworkgroup#1b
or
nmblookup -M "-"
or
nmblookup -M '-'
or
nmblookup -M -- -

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Oliver Marshall
 
Default Samba issue

Hi chaps
*
I’m trying to set up an old machine with ubuntu (10.xx lts) as a basic samba server to allow people to create more trash…I mean important files, on the network.
*
I’m getting a problem with the public share whereby the end users (all windows XP and 7) get permission denied errors when trying to write to the share. They can see the files in there though.
*
The share setup in smb.conf is;
*
[Test]
comment=Test Share
path=/var/samba/test
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
writable = yes
read >
public = yes
*
What have I missed?
*
Olly

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM
"Clinton Tinsley"
 
Default Samba issue

I’m trying to set up an old machine with ubuntu (10.xx lts) as a basic samba server to allow people to create more trash…I mean important files, on the network.


*


I’m getting a problem with the public share whereby the end users (all windows XP and 7) get permission denied errors when trying to write to the share. They can see the files in there though.


*


The share setup in smb.conf is;


*


[Test]


*


comment=Test Share


path=/var/samba/test


guest ok = yes


browseable = yes


writable = yes


read >

public = yes


*


What have I missed?



What is the authentication security?



Clint





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org