Old 12-15-2007, 02:26 PM
"David G. Miller"

Default find IP address of device on network based on, MAC address

John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

Jerry Geis wrote:

> I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
> address of it
> and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
> IP address (setable by browser).

> Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?

$ nmap -n -sP -PI 192.168.0.1-254 && arp -an | grep -v incomplete
I was hoping someone would mention nmap. Here's the output from a quick
(5.753 seconds) ping scan of my network:

[root@bend etc]# nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-12-15 08:10 MST
Host 192.168.0.172 appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:0A:5E:1A:EC:9E (3COM)
Host 192.168.0.181 appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:0F:B0:6D:61:9E (Compal Electronics)
Host 192.168.0.185 appears to be up.
Host 192.168.0.250 appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:12:17:7A:B6:F6 (Cisco-Linksys)
Nmap finished: 256 IP addresses (4 hosts up) scanned in 5.753 seconds

You can also try letting nmap figure out what each device is with
something like:

nmap -T4 -A 192.168.0.0/24

My x86_64 laptop confused it but it was spot on at identifying my
wireless AP.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce