Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 AM
John R Pierce

Default ntop from rpmforge

I installed ntop on a centos5.2 system (which got all yum updates a few
days ago)...

# rpm -q ntop rrdtool
ntop-3.3.8-1.el5.rf
rrdtool-1.2.28-1.el5.rf

went through the password configuration

when I start it, its erroring.

# service ntop start
Starting ntop: Processing file /etc/ntop.conf for parameters...
Mon Nov 24 23:56:36 2008 NOTE: Interface merge enabled by default
Mon Nov 24 23:56:36 2008 Initializing gdbm databases
FATAL ERROR: Unrecognized/unprocessed ntop options...
--user ntop,
--db-file-path
/var/ntop,

run ntop --help for usage information

Common problems:
-B "filter expressions" (quotes are required)
--use-syslog=facilty (the = is required)

[FAILED]

ooops! near as I can tell, tis getting those options from
/etc/ntop.conf and I've done a bit of futzzing in there to try and sort
it out but to no avail.

before I go and break things totally, what did I do wrong??

if I run ntop --daemon from the command prompt, it seems to work fine.

# ntop @/etc/ntop.conf --daemon
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 NOTE: Interface merge enabled by default
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Initializing gdbm databases
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 ntop v.3.3.8 (Dag Apt RPM Repository)
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Configured on Oct 6 2008 1:40:18, built on
Oct 6 2008 01:41:15.

Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Copyright 1998-2007 by Luca Deri <deri@ntop.org>
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Get the freshest ntop from http://www.ntop.org/
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 NOTE: ntop is running from 'ntop'
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 NOTE: (but see warning on man page for the
--instance parameter)

Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 NOTE: ntop libraries are in '/usr/lib'
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Initializing ntop
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 No patterns to load: protocol guessing disabled.
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Checking eth0 for additional devices
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Resetting traffic statistics for device eth0
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Initializing device eth0 (0)
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 DLT: Device 0 [eth0] is 1, mtu 1514, header 14
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Initializing gdbm databases
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: Loading MAC address table.
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: Checking for MAC address table file
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: File '/etc/ntop/specialMAC.txt.gz'
does not need to be reloaded

Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: ntop continues ok
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: Checking for MAC address table file
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: File '/etc/ntop/oui.txt.gz' does not
need to be reloaded

Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 VENDOR: ntop continues ok
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Fingerprint: Loading signature file
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Fingerprint: Checking for Fingerprint file... file
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Fingerprint: Loading file
'/etc/ntop/etter.finger.os.gz'

Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 Fingerprint: ...loaded 0 records
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 INIT: Parent process is exiting (this is normal)
Tue Nov 25 00:07:35 2008 INIT: Bye bye: I'm becoming a daemon...

Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
"Max Hodgson"

I installed ntop on a centos5.2 system (which got all yum updates a few days ago)...

* # rpm -q ntop rrdtool

* ntop-3.3.8-1.el5.rf

* rrdtool-1.2.28-1.el5.rf

went through the password configuration

when I start it, its erroring.

# service ntop start

Starting ntop: * *Processing file /etc/ntop.conf for parameters...

Mon Nov 24 23:56:36 2008 *NOTE: Interface merge enabled by default

Mon Nov 24 23:56:36 2008 *Initializing gdbm databases

FATAL ERROR: Unrecognized/unprocessed ntop options...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--user ntop, * * --db-file-path /var/ntop, * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

run ntop --help for usage information

* Hi

There is an error in the ntop startup file.

If you edit:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntop

and find the line:

daemon $prog -d -L @/etc/ntop.conf

(This is in the "start ()" section)

Replace with the line:

daemon $prog @/etc/ntop.conf -d -L

i.e. The config file bit needs to be before the parameters.

It should then work when you do "service ntop start".

mjh

*

Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
"Ausmus, Matt"

I don’t know why I haven’t signed up for this
list before since we use CentOS all over the place. *The list is very
useful and it is good for me to participate and “give back” to the
community.

*

Anywho, I wanted to post this response to a thread that was
created back in November 2008 about the ntop daemon failing to start.* I’m
currently setting up ntop as a NetFlow & SFlow collector and came across
the issue.* A quick refresher, the init script for ntop has an issue where
it can’t parse the ntop.conf file correctly if switches are entered
before the “@/etc/ntop.conf”.* The suggested work around was
to move the “-d –L” switches from in front of the “@/etc/ntop.conf”
and put them behind it.* This is definitely the fix.* There is a caveat
to that and I haven’t found anyone that has mentioned it so I thought I
would.* According to the documentation, if you add the switches after the “@/etc/ntop.conf”
those will override the configurations in the ntop.conf file.* While this
isn’t an issue with the “-d” option, if you decide to use a
custom syslog level and add it to the conf file, the “-L” switch
after the conf file will override your custom log facility.* In my init
file I left the “-d” but removed the “-L” expecting me
to put my own syslog entry in the conf file.

*

____________________________

Matt
Ausmus

Network
Administrator

Chapman University

635
West Palm Street

Orange, CA* 92868

(714)628-2738

mausmus@chapman.edu

*

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of
the time he will pick himself up and continue on.”

*********** -
Churchill’s Commentary on Man

Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Steve Huff

[...]

thanks for the report! the appropriate place to report such issues is
the RPMforge users' list, <users@lists.rpmforge.net>.

i've committed a fix; once the package is rebuilt, it should appear in
the repository.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

http://five.sentenc.es

Old 12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
"Matt Ausmus"

Thanks Steve for the heads up on the proper place to post this and that
you've already submitted a fix. I just responded back to the list because
this was the original posting place and wanted to make sure anyone else
performing this fix until your patch goes through doesn't fall into the trap
of putting the switches after the ntop.conf file.

____________________________
Matt Ausmus
Network Administrator
Chapman University
635 West Palm Street
Orange, CA 92868
(714)628-2738
mausmus@chapman.edu

"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to float on his back,
you've got something."
-HARTLEY'S FIRST LAW