Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default yum download

Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?

I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly

Old 11-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?
>
> I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly

Install "yum-downloadonly" and then you can use yum downloadonly foobar.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?

I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly

Hi

I think yumdownloader is what you are looking for.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?

I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly
I just figured out how to get firefox to show me the RPMS directory in
the online repo and then did a save link as. This worked for this time....

Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Mohan

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?

I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly

Hi

You can have a look at this url, its explained step by step there.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/yum-downloadonly-plugin/

cheers!

Mohan.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Mohan wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?

I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly

Hi

You can have a look at this url, its explained step by step there.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/yum-downloadonly-plugin/

Ah, no wonder I could not find it in yum... It is a plugin!

Thanks everyone.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Les Mikesell

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?

I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly
I just figured out how to get firefox to show me the RPMS directory in
the online repo and then did a save link as. This worked for this time....

You won't like that when you run into an rpm with a lot of dependencies.
Just 'yum install yum-downloadonly', then

'yum --downloadonly packagename'.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Monday 24 November 2008, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > Can I just download an rpm from a repo without installing it?
> >
> > I don't see anything like yum download or yum install --downonly
>
> Hi
>
> I think yumdownloader is what you are looking for.

For completeness, yumdownloader is a command/program that comes with the
yum-utils package on centos 4 and 5.

/Peter