FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Kurt Hansen
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

Hello,

I tried making a donation via the centos.org website but was blocked by
PayPal. I tried today and a few weeks ago.


The error I got in both instances was:

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a
different credit or debit card number."


This strikes me as a strange response. It didn't say the card was
declined; it said it "cannot be used." Also, the response was awfully
quick so it didn't seem to be from the credit card processor, but from
PayPal.


I setup e-commerce sites so am very familiar with on-line credit card
processing. Also, I just used this card online a couple of days ago
successfully, and I know I have plenty of available credit.


Has anybody else gotten an error like this?

I suspect PayPal is blocking this, not my credit card company. I
suspect, too, PayPal is doing this to reduce their own costs rather than
protect centos.org or me from a fraudulent transaction. I have a PayPal
account that was set up a few years back as a test based on a PayPal
offer to me, have never used beyond setting up, but which PayPal has
suspended. I'm not interested in using this account nor jumping through
the hoops they require. I may have entered this credit card in that
account. I suspect PayPal is blocking this credit card number to push me
to re-open my PayPal account.


Am I just being paranoid?

Take care,

Kurt Hansen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

Kurt Hansen wrote:
I suspect PayPal is blocking this, not my credit card company. I
suspect, too, PayPal is doing this to reduce their own costs rather
than protect centos.org or me from a fraudulent transaction. I have a
PayPal account that was set up a few years back as a test based on a
PayPal offer to me, have never used beyond setting up, but which
PayPal has suspended. I'm not interested in using this account nor
jumping through the hoops they require. I may have entered this credit
card in that account. I suspect PayPal is blocking this credit card
number to push me to re-open my PayPal account.



I believe paypal users can choose not to accept money from credit cards
due to the fees withheld, although doing this for donations would be
kind of silly... paypal's system is somewhat opaque about this sort of
thing.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 AM
"Amos Shapira"
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

2008/11/24 Kurt Hansen <khansen@charityweb.net>:
> Hello,
>
> I tried making a donation via the centos.org website but was blocked by
> PayPal. I tried today and a few weeks ago.

I told my boss about this (our company is mainly in the online
anti-fraud domain) and he said that it happened to him in the last few
days too.

Maybe Paypal is suffering from a glitch or tightened their checks too much.

--Amos
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Kurt Hansen
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

Amos Shapira wrote:

2008/11/24 Kurt Hansen <khansen@charityweb.net>:


Hello,

I tried making a donation via the centos.org website but was blocked by
PayPal. I tried today and a few weeks ago.



I told my boss about this (our company is mainly in the online
anti-fraud domain) and he said that it happened to him in the last few
days too.

Maybe Paypal is suffering from a glitch or tightened their checks too much


Really? That's very interesting. Was his attempt via the centos.org
website or elsewhere?


Take care,

Kurt
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Kurt Hansen
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

John R Pierce wrote:

Kurt Hansen wrote:
I suspect PayPal is blocking this, not my credit card company. I
suspect, too, PayPal is doing this to reduce their own costs rather
than protect centos.org or me from a fraudulent transaction. I have a
PayPal account that was set up a few years back as a test based on a
PayPal offer to me, have never used beyond setting up, but which
PayPal has suspended. I'm not interested in using this account nor
jumping through the hoops they require. I may have entered this
credit card in that account. I suspect PayPal is blocking this credit
card number to push me to re-open my PayPal account.



I believe paypal users can choose not to accept money from credit
cards due to the fees withheld, although doing this for donations
would be kind of silly... paypal's system is somewhat opaque about
this sort of thing.
Yes, I can see why you would do this for items with low margin. But, for
donations, it doesn't make any sense at all.


I don't think that's the case here, though. Or, the PayPal error message
is inaccurate since it suggests using a different credit card.


Can whomever setup the PayPal donation capability on centos.org give any
insight into whether credit card payments are blocked? Maybe one has to
tell PayPal to NOT block credit cards? PayPal does try to steer people
to use a PayPal account. Considering they tend to be a customer-hostile
organization, I wouldn't put it past them to make this the default.


Take care,

Kurt
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

Kurt Hansen wrote:

Hello,

I tried making a donation via the centos.org website but was blocked
by PayPal. I tried today and a few weeks ago.


The error I got in both instances was:

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a
different credit or debit card number."


I remembered something else. When I first started using paypal a few
years ago purely to make CC payments to other people, it only let me use
a credit card about 3-4 times before I had to register for a proper
paypal account.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 AM
"nate"
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

Kurt Hansen wrote:

> Can whomever setup the PayPal donation capability on centos.org give any
> insight into whether credit card payments are blocked? Maybe one has to

I'm not the maintainer of the site but I just submitted a few
bucks via paypal using a temporary generated visa #, no problem.

I don't trust paypal with my real CC#. Yay for temporary numbers.

nate

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 AM
"Mark A. Lewis"
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

> I don't trust paypal with my real CC#. Yay for temporary numbers.

What's to trust? They do anything unauthorized, call your CC company and let them take care of it. That's the beauty of credit cards, your liability is almost nothing.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 AM
"Amos Shapira"
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

2008/11/25 Kurt Hansen <khansen@charityweb.net>:
> Really? That's very interesting. Was his attempt via the centos.org website
> or elsewhere?

Another web site (he didn't give details).

--Amos
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
"nate"
 
Default Trouble Donating on centos.org

Mark A. Lewis wrote:
>> I don't trust paypal with my real CC#. Yay for temporary numbers.
>
> What's to trust? They do anything unauthorized, call your CC company and let
> them take care of it. That's the beauty of credit cards, your liability is
> almost nothing.

I guess it's more along the lines on how long the real credit
card is valid for(years) vs how long the temporary credit card
is valid for (1 month).

I've used paypal on a couple of occasions several years ago and
didn't have a problem but I've read/heard too many stories of
them screwing people over to trust them with anything.

I opened up a paypal account a few days ago to send a few bucks to
someone else for a piece of software since I _really_ wanted it
and he only took paypal. I plan to close it again soon.

Probably over paranoid I know but that's just how I am I guess.
Fortunately to my knowledge I've never been the victim of
fraud, identity theft etc.

nate

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org