Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Kurt Hansen

Default CentOS on HP EliteBook 6930 or Dell Latitude e6400

Hello,

I'm considering the HP EliteBook 6930 or the Dell Latitude e6400
notebooks for CentOS. I'm planning on using these in a situation in
which they are always on, and I want low power and low noise and high
reliability.

HP claims up to 24 hours battery power and Dell up to 19 hours. I figure
this can bridge the gap for most power outages in my neighborhood. I
realize that I won't get these hours running CentOS, but these two seem
best of breed, so they give me the most margin.

I'm also planning on getting a SSD (Solid State Drive) on them.

I've found folks on the Web who've put the latest Ubuntu on each with
few problems, but very little mention of other distributions. Actually,
I couldn't find any mention of other distributions.

Is there anything that should concern me about putting CentOS on either
of these? Has anyone done it?

Note that I plan to turn wireless networking off so I'd be happy if it
doesn't work. Also, I don't care about the screen performance. I figure
these are the two most likely areas of compatibility concern, but the
SSD has me a little concerned, too.

Thanks for your help!

Take care,

Kurt Hansen

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Note that I plan to turn wireless networking off so I'd be happy if it
>doesn't work. Also, I don't care about the screen performance. I figure
>these are the two most likely areas of compatibility concern, but the
>SSD has me a little concerned, too.

The HP has drivers:
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html

The Dell can be ordered with either an Nvidia or Intel chipset, the nvidia
shouldn't be a problem and it looks as if the 4500MHD it can also come with
is similar to the X4500HD, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA which I
understand the same Linux drivers above support the G45 Chipset which both
of those belong to.

Your (any) os is oblivious to the fact your drive is SSD. That's not say
the fact you have one may or may not be an issue, search the web for some
issues surrounding their use...

jlc