Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Steve Tindall

Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 10:05 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> Karanbir,
>
> Do you see anything that should be added to this guide?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype
>
> Or, that's all you need to get skype going (I suppose so) ?
>
> Akemi

Maybe I need new glasses, but I cannot find the Skype HowTo in the HowTo

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos

Is the HowTo still at the edit stage and not released for general
consumption?

Steve

Old 11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Ned Slider

Steve Tindall wrote:

Maybe I need new glasses, but I cannot find the Skype HowTo in the HowTo

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos

Is the HowTo still at the edit stage and not released for general
consumption?

Hi Steve,

Added to section 16 (Misc.)

Thanks for pointing it out

Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Steve Tindall wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I need new glasses, but I cannot find the Skype HowTo in the HowTo
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Added to section 16 (Misc.)
>
> Thanks for pointing it out

Thanks, Ned. I actually noticed it earlier when trying to get the URL
for the skype article and meant to add it to the HowTo page. Then I
had forgotten about it ...

Akemi

Old 11-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Ned Slider

Akemi Yagi wrote:

Maybe I need new glasses, but I cannot find the Skype HowTo in the HowTo

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos

Hi Steve,

Added to section 16 (Misc.)

Thanks for pointing it out

Thanks, Ned. I actually noticed it earlier when trying to get the URL
for the skype article and meant to add it to the HowTo page. Then I
had forgotten about it ...

No problem. The search feature finds it easy enough but it's there now

Apologies to Niki for taking this slightly OT from your issue - lets see
if someone has a solution for you

Ned

Old 11-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Niki Kovacs

Karanbir Singh a écrit :

having just got off a 40 min long skype call with some guys on the other
side of the pond, one bit of feedback I can give you is that skype (
from their rpm ) on centos-5 does work !

Well, great to hear it works for you. Unfortunately I don't have the
slightest idea how to make the outgoing sound work here. Googling only
shows that the problem seems rather widespread. It-works-here doesn't
help me very much.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> I've spent the best part of a sunny afternoon trying to get Skype to work on
> my CentOS 5 desktop.
<snip>
> I've installed the CentOS RPM from skype.com, but no matter what I do, I
> can't seem to have outgoing sound. Whenever I do a test call (echo123),
> there's no message left. I've been jumping through burning loops giving all
> the options and their possible permutations a shot, to no avail.
>
> Though curiously that thing worked on a Linux Mint 5 install. But then, I
> won't change distro because of one small detail.
>
> Any suggestions?

Niki: Welcome to the club! This is something I have tried to get
working, on my CentOS 5 (32 bit) desktop. William was very kind and he
volunteered to help, but I have other projects, with higher
priorities, ahead of this one now. Great to know that one of the
previous responders has it working AOK. My Sound Card is a Generic,
which uses the snd-cs46xx driver. It's a Cirrus Logic and Skype works
perfectly on M$ Windows, which is the main reason why this is still a
dual boot box. Like yours, my calls to the Skype test robot are all
one way. I can hear her, but she can't hear me. GL! Lanny

Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Niki Kovacs

Lanny Marcus a écrit :

Niki: Welcome to the club! This is something I have tried to get
working, on my CentOS 5 (32 bit) desktop. William was very kind and he
volunteered to help, but I have other projects, with higher
priorities, ahead of this one now. Great to know that one of the
previous responders has it working AOK. My Sound Card is a Generic,
which uses the snd-cs46xx driver. It's a Cirrus Logic and Skype works
perfectly on M$ Windows, which is the main reason why this is still a
dual boot box. Like yours, my calls to the Skype test robot are all
one way. I can hear her, but she can't hear me. GL! Lanny

After a few more hours of googling, I've come to the following
conclusion: Skype seems to work for some folks, and not for others,
regardless of competence or used distribution.

I'd say this is quite annoying.

Niki

Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM
"Rob Townley"

Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Niki Kovacs

Rob Townley a écrit :

Don't use skype, but r u sure your firewall is not blocking outgoing sound?

Funny, I never gave that a thought. Any idea which port I would have to
open?

Niki

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Karanbir Singh

Niki Kovacs wrote:
Well, great to hear it works for you. Unfortunately I don't have the
slightest idea how to make the outgoing sound work here. Googling only
shows that the problem seems rather widespread. It-works-here doesn't
help me very much.

how did you confirm you have a functional mic ?