FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Karanbir Singh a écrit :

Niki Kovacs wrote:
Well, great to hear it works for you. Unfortunately I don't have the
slightest idea how to make the outgoing sound work here. Googling only
shows that the problem seems rather widespread. It-works-here doesn't
help me very much.


how did you confirm you have a functional mic ?



$ arecord > ~/test.wav

"Bla bla bla test one two one two" )

And then:

$ aplay ~/test.wav

Sound is a bit fuzzy, but it's there.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
"Amos Shapira"
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

2008/11/24 Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>:
> Rob Townley a écrit :
>>>
>>
>> Don't use skype, but r u sure your firewall is not blocking outgoing
>> sound?
>
> Funny, I never gave that a thought. Any idea which port I would have to
> open?

You generally don't need to:
1. Skype is smart enough to pass through pretty much anything.
2. You say that you manage to setup a connection and hear the echo
test incoming voice.

IMHO you should concentrate on making sure you are using the latest
version of Skype for Linux and getting your mic working.

Skype until some stage used the old non-alsa sound interface and
required the alsa emualtion of that interface. I think they finally
switched to ALSA with version 2.

http://alsa-project.org is a VERY helpful place (and carries very
helpful mailing list) for such stuff, since it appears almost certain
to me that your issue is generally with your mic or Skype's sound
configuration and not Skype's network side.

Good luck,

--Amos
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:13 AM
"Rob Townley"
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Rob Townley a écrit :
>>>
>>
>> Don't use skype, but r u sure your firewall is not blocking outgoing
>> sound?
>
> Funny, I never gave that a thought. Any idea which port I would have to
> open?
>
> Niki
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Can't tell the port numbers involved.
What about your selinux config - have you tried permissive mode of selinux?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Niki Kovacs wrote:

Sound is a bit fuzzy, but it's there.


I guess then make sure your mic source is selected right in skype. Also
the version that i am using is : skype-2.0.0.72-centos


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Alex White
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:02:21 +0100
Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> Rob Townley a écrit :
> >>
> >
> > Don't use skype, but r u sure your firewall is not blocking
> > outgoing sound?
>
> Funny, I never gave that a thought. Any idea which port I would
> have to open?
>
> Niki

Have you made sure that your mic is set to capture sound via
alsamixer?

Run alsamixer in a terminal and hit tab to get to capture devices.
Then have a gander at what is selected. You need to make sure your
mic is selected as the capture device. Otherwise, it may have
defaulted to something other than your mic. On my system it chooses
the first CD-ROM for the capture device for some reason.

Also, make sure that you have mic boost on as well. You can mute
the mic in the Playback section as well so you don't hear your own
voice as well. When you run the skype test call you should bear
better results.

HTH

Alex White

--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 10:45 -0600, Alex White wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:02:21 +0100
> Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> took out a #2 pencil and
> scribbled:
>
> > Rob Townley a écrit :
> > >>
> > >
> > > Don't use skype, but r u sure your firewall is not blocking
> > > outgoing sound?
> >
> > Funny, I never gave that a thought. Any idea which port I would
> > have to open?
> >
> > Niki
>
> Have you made sure that your mic is set to capture sound via
> alsamixer?
>
> Run alsamixer in a terminal and hit tab to get to capture devices.

>From a gnome desktop you can also right-click the speaker to open the
mixer panel.

> Then have a gander at what is selected. You need to make sure your
> mic is selected as the capture device. Otherwise, it may have
> defaulted to something other than your mic. On my system it chooses
> the first CD-ROM for the capture device for some reason.
>
> Also, make sure that you have mic boost on as well. You can mute
> the mic in the Playback section as well so you don't hear your own
> voice as well. When you run the skype test call you should bear
> better results.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex White
>

--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Niki Kovacs wrote:
>> Sound is a bit fuzzy, but it's there.
> I guess then make sure your mic source is selected right in skype. Also the
> version that i am using is : skype-2.0.0.72-centos

Karanbir: Where did you get that version of Skype? I want to get it,
in case it is different that the version I have now! TIA! Lanny
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Lanny Marcus wrote:

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

Niki Kovacs wrote:

Sound is a bit fuzzy, but it's there.

I guess then make sure your mic source is selected right in skype. Also the
version that i am using is : skype-2.0.0.72-centos


Karanbir: Where did you get that version of Skype? I want to get it,
in case it is different that the version I have now! TIA! Lanny


http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
"John"
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Lanny Marcus
> Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 12:59 PM
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound
>
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Karanbir Singh
> <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> > Niki Kovacs wrote:
> >> Sound is a bit fuzzy, but it's there.
> > I guess then make sure your mic source is selected right in
> skype. Also the
> > version that i am using is : skype-2.0.0.72-centos
>
> Karanbir: Where did you get that version of Skype? I want to get it,
> in case it is different that the version I have now! TIA! Lanny

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-centos

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
<snip>
>>> version that i am using is : skype-2.0.0.72-centos
>> Karanbir: Where did you get that version of Skype? I want to get it,
>> in case it is different that the version I have now! TIA! Lanny
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype

OK. That's the version I installed on 18 July 2008. So that's not the
reason I have no audio output from the microphone. I disabled the
onboard Audio, thinking it might be easier for me to get this working,
with a generic Sound Blaster compatible sound card. When I have time,
I will try it with the Intel onboard Audio again. :-)
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org