Old 11-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Hi,

I've spent the best part of a sunny afternoon trying to get Skype to
work on my CentOS 5 desktop.

My soundcard seems configured OK.

I can play sounds and hear them OK in my headset:

$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav

I can record speech from my microphone OK:

$ arecord > ~/test.wav

... although I have to say that sound quality seems rather poor. It's
quite fuzzy. Other detail: curiously when I speak into the microphone I
don't hear my own voice in the headset.

I've installed the CentOS RPM from skype.com, but no matter what I do, I
can't seem to have outgoing sound. Whenever I do a test call (echo123),
there's no message left. I've been jumping through burning loops giving
all the options and their possible permutations a shot, to no avail.

Though curiously that thing worked on a Linux Mint 5 install. But then,
I won't change distro because of one small detail.

Any suggestions?

Niki

Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Karanbir Singh

Niki Kovacs wrote:
Though curiously that thing worked on a Linux Mint 5 install. But then,
I won't change distro because of one small detail.

Any suggestions?

having just got off a 40 min long skype call with some guys on the other
side of the pond, one bit of feedback I can give you is that skype (
from their rpm ) on centos-5 does work !

Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> having just got off a 40 min long skype call with some guys on the other
> side of the pond, one bit of feedback I can give you is that skype ( from
> their rpm ) on centos-5 does work !

Karanbir,

Do you see anything that should be added to this guide?

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype

Or, that's all you need to get skype going (I suppose so) ?

Akemi