Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Default Location of 5.2 .iso without XEN

Sam Drinkard wrote:
Subject pretty much says it all. I want the 5.2 without the xen kernel.
I've grabbed bits from 2 different mirrors and they all appear to have
xen on them. It would be very nice if someone could throw some text
into the mirrors file to differentiate the two "versions".. Oh yeah, I
need the x86_64 .iso.

I'm not sure i've got the point ... you have the normal kernel and the
choice to install xen if you want .. it's up to you : nobody forces you
to install it. The same rule applies to Gnome/KDE/etc ;-)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Pintér Tibor

Sam Drinkard írta:
Subject pretty much says it all. I want the 5.2 without the xen kernel.
I've grabbed bits from 2 different mirrors and they all appear to have
xen on them. It would be very nice if someone could throw some text
into the mirrors file to differentiate the two "versions".. Oh yeah, I
need the x86_64 .iso.

Thanks

you just dont install xen, thats all
no magic!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Sam Drinkard

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Sam Drinkard wrote:
Subject pretty much says it all. I want the 5.2 without the xen
kernel. I've grabbed bits from 2 different mirrors and they all
appear to have xen on them. It would be very nice if someone could
throw some text into the mirrors file to differentiate the two
"versions".. Oh yeah, I need the x86_64 .iso.

I'm not sure i've got the point ... you have the normal kernel and the
choice to install xen if you want .. it's up to you : nobody forces
you to install it. The same rule applies to Gnome/KDE/etc ;-)

That's not possible with the DVD I have.. it does not give any option to
not install xen. I'd have to boot back into the DVD but if there is an
option to not install it, I've sure missed it.. I will look tho..

Sam

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 PM
MHR

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net> wrote:

> Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>>
>> Sam Drinkard wrote:
>>>
>>> Subject pretty much says it all. I want the 5.2 without the xen kernel. I've grabbed bits from 2 different mirrors and they all appear to have xen on them. It would be very nice if someone could throw some text into the mirrors file to differentiate the two "versions".. Oh yeah, I need the x86_64 .iso.
>>
>> I'm not sure i've got the point ... you have the normal kernel and the choice to install xen if you want .. it's up to you : nobody forces you to install it. The same rule applies to Gnome/KDE/etc ;-)
>>
> That's not possible with the DVD I have.. it does not give any option to not install xen. I'd have to boot back into the DVD but if there is an option to not install it, I've sure missed it.. I will look tho..

Where, o, where did you get that iso?

I've never seen one that forces you to install virtualization - that's
an optional package that is always off unless you specifically select
it in the package options (or just off, if you don't customize right
away).

I'd go back and get another, or download directly from the centos.org
mirror sites.

BTW, I install with both the x86_64 DVD iso and the i386 DVD iso -
depends on the target machine.

HTH

mhr

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Subject pretty much says it all. I want the 5.2 without the xen kernel.
> I've grabbed bits from 2 different mirrors and they all appear to have
> xen on them. It would be very nice if someone could throw some text
> into the mirrors file to differentiate the two "versions".. Oh yeah, I
> need the x86_64 .iso.

Do not install "Virtualization" and you won't have xen. There are no
different ISOs for "with xen" and "without xen".

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Vandaman

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Do not install "Virtualization" and you won't
> have xen. There are no
> different ISOs for "with xen" and "without
> xen".

This means that the OP did not even bother checking the responses
to his question.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-November/068124.html

even looking at the recent kernel updates one can see for themselves :-

x86_64:
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-debug-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-debug-devel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-devel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-doc-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.noarch.rpm
kernel-headers-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-xen-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm

Regards,
Vandaman.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Sam, please don't abandon threads you initiated yourself about the same
topic, this is noob behavior. You should know better by now. You waste
other people's time as they cannot know all content of all threads.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Sam Drinkard

Vandaman wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Do not install "Virtualization" and you won't
have xen. There are no
different ISOs for "with xen" and "without

xen".

This means that the OP did not even bother checking the responses
to his question.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-November/068124.html

even looking at the recent kernel updates one can see for themselves :-

x86_64:
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-debug-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-debug-devel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-devel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-doc-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.noarch.rpm
kernel-headers-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-xen-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5.x86_64.rpm

Regards,
Vandaman.

Not to start a pissing contest, but I can assure you, I've read every
response to my question. I did not reply to each and every one because
there is no need to duplicate answers. As for "seeing things" No, I did
not see anything related to virtualization when I started the install.
My fault that I missed it, but sometimes we tend to take things on the
fly and I'm sure while you've never missed anything ever, at least I'll
'fess up to it..

Sam

Old 11-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Sam Drinkard

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Sam, please don't abandon threads you initiated yourself about the same
topic, this is noob behavior. You should know better by now. You waste
other people's time as they cannot know all content of all threads.

Kai

Kai,

I'm not abandoning the threads.. I have been up to my ass in
alligators all week, and while I didn't respond to every reply, I caught
several with one reply.. no point in duplications. I apologize if I'm
acting like a noob, but I get so frustrated when things get blown out of
proportion. I'm not a Centos newbie, but when I get a curve ball thrown
at me when unexpected, I have to ask questions. I'm amazed that I
missed the virtualization when I did the install.. I'm going to blow it
all away and start fresh, mainly because I didn't like the default
partitioning on the drives. I'm in uncharted waters for me with the
raid array, and trying to figure out what is what.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Sam Drinkard

MHR wrote:

[...]

Actually, I guess I did not know what the virtualization package was.
If it had been called Xen, I know I'd not have installed it, but
essentially looking through the first parts of install (which I'm doing
right now) I see it there, clear as day, and I can assure you, that box
is not checked ! It's very possible I may have had one or two too many
'ritas when I was doing the install and just said the heck with it..
check everything! Now, if I wind up with a kernel with xen in it, I'm
gonna wonder why, 'cause I sure as heck don't want it. As for the where
on the DVD, I think that one came from gatech.

Sam