FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
address of it
and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
IP address (setable by browser).


Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?

Thanks,

Jerry

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 PM
"Jim Perrin"
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

On Dec 14, 2007 3:02 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
> address of it
> and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
> IP address (setable by browser).
>
> Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?

Ping all the ips on your network, then use 'arp' to show the ip and
mac linking. This should give you the information you need.

--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
George Orwell
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

Jerry Geis wrote:
I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
address of it
and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
IP address (setable by browser).


Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?


You accumulate a table of mac<->ip assocations, but only after
communicating with something. arp -a will show the current entries
(which expire fairly quickly). You might ping everything in the network
range, then look for the mac in the arp list.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Brian
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:


Jerry Geis wrote:
I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the
IP address of it
and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know
the IP address (setable by browser).
Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of
the unit?


You accumulate a table of mac<->ip assocations, but only after
communicating with something. arp -a will show the current entries
(which expire fairly quickly). You might ping everything in the
network range, then look for the mac in the arp list.


to ping every address, check out broadcast pings here

http://www.macworld.com/article/53277/2006/10/pingfind.html
(or google other how-to's)

then do the
arp -a

but keep in mind not everything responds to broadcast pings.

Brian

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 PM
"Marcelo Roccasalva"
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

On Dec 14, 2007 5:02 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
> address of it
> and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
> IP address (setable by browser).
>
> Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?

Most TCP/IP devices broadcast some gratuitous arp packet on boot which
you should be able to "tcpdump" on the net

--
Marcelo

"¿No será acaso que ésta vida moderna está teniendo más de moderna que
de vida?" (Mafalda)
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Milton Calnek
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

Brian wrote:


On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:


Jerry Geis wrote:
I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
address of it
and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know
the IP address (setable by browser).
Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the
unit?


You accumulate a table of mac<->ip assocations, but only after
communicating with something. arp -a will show the current entries
(which expire fairly quickly). You might ping everything in the
network range, then look for the mac in the arp list.


to ping every address, check out broadcast pings here

http://www.macworld.com/article/53277/2006/10/pingfind.html
(or google other how-to's)


The tool you want is fping. It's available from the rpmforge repository.

fping -ga 192.168.c.d/m
arp -n | grep aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Now you may have two problems:
1. The unknown device is not in your address space. ie: your net is
192.168.0.0/24 and the ip of the device is 192.168.1.1.
2. Your mask is too large. ie: 192.168.0.0/20 may be too large for you
to scan the entire address space before your arp tables runs out of room.


Good luck.

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com
306-717-8737


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
"Brian Mathis"
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

On Dec 14, 2007 4:11 PM, Milton Calnek <milton@calnek.com> wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> >> Jerry Geis wrote:
> >>> I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
> >>> address of it
> >>> and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know
> >>> the IP address (setable by browser).
> >>> Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the
> >>> unit?
> >>
> >> You accumulate a table of mac<->ip assocations, but only after
> >> communicating with something. arp -a will show the current entries
> >> (which expire fairly quickly). You might ping everything in the
> >> network range, then look for the mac in the arp list.
> >
> > to ping every address, check out broadcast pings here
> >
> > http://www.macworld.com/article/53277/2006/10/pingfind.html
> > (or google other how-to's)
>
> The tool you want is fping. It's available from the rpmforge repository.
>
> fping -ga 192.168.c.d/m
> arp -n | grep aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
>
> Now you may have two problems:
> 1. The unknown device is not in your address space. ie: your net is
> 192.168.0.0/24 and the ip of the device is 192.168.1.1.
> 2. Your mask is too large. ie: 192.168.0.0/20 may be too large for you
> to scan the entire address space before your arp tables runs out of room.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)


You can sacrifice a little bit of speed (this is not parallel) at the
advantage of not having to install another package by doing something
like this (using bash):

for ((i=1; i<=254; i+=1))
do ping -c 5 192.168.1.$i
done

OR

for ((i=1; i<=254; i+=1))
do for ((j=1; j<=254; j+=1))
ping -c 5 192.168.$i.$j
done
done


You can probably get parallel by adding an "&" to the end of the ping line
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Milton Calnek
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

Brian Mathis wrote:

On Dec 14, 2007 4:11 PM, Milton Calnek <milton@calnek.com> wrote:

Brian wrote:

On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:


Jerry Geis wrote:

I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
address of it
and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know
the IP address (setable by browser).
Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the
unit?

You accumulate a table of mac<->ip assocations, but only after
communicating with something. arp -a will show the current entries
(which expire fairly quickly). You might ping everything in the
network range, then look for the mac in the arp list.

to ping every address, check out broadcast pings here

http://www.macworld.com/article/53277/2006/10/pingfind.html
(or google other how-to's)

The tool you want is fping. It's available from the rpmforge repository.

fping -ga 192.168.c.d/m
arp -n | grep aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Now you may have two problems:
1. The unknown device is not in your address space. ie: your net is
192.168.0.0/24 and the ip of the device is 192.168.1.1.
2. Your mask is too large. ie: 192.168.0.0/20 may be too large for you
to scan the entire address space before your arp tables runs out of room.

Good luck.

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)



You can sacrifice a little bit of speed (this is not parallel) at the
advantage of not having to install another package by doing something
like this (using bash):

for ((i=1; i<=254; i+=1))
do ping -c 5 192.168.1.$i
done

OR

for ((i=1; i<=254; i+=1))
do for ((j=1; j<=254; j+=1))
ping -c 5 192.168.$i.$j
done
done


You sacrifice a lot of speed. To the point where if you do your arp
after all the pings have finished, some of the arp entries at the lower
end will have been deleted based on time when working with one class C.


If you want to do it that way try:
ping -c 3 192.168.$i.$j; arp -n | grep aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Also seq is much easier to use...
for i in `seq 0 255`; do




You can probably get parallel by adding an "&" to the end of the ping line
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton@calnek.com
306-717-8737


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Bill Campbell
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007, Jim Perrin wrote:
>On Dec 14, 2007 3:02 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
>> I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
>> address of it
>> and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
>> IP address (setable by browser).
>>
>> Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?
>
>Ping all the ips on your network, then use 'arp' to show the ip and
>mac linking. This should give you the information you need.

For a private network, 192.168.1.0/24

ping -c3 -b 192.168.1.255
arp -an | grep -i macaddress

Bill
--
INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

Democracy must be sometihng more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
to have for dinner -- James Bovard
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default find IP address of device on network based on MAC address

Jerry Geis wrote:
I have a device on my network that is not DHCP and I dont know the IP
address of it
and it has not method of finding it or changing it unless you know the
IP address (setable by browser).


Is there a way on linux, based on MAC address, to get the IP of the unit?



$ nmap -n -sP -PI 192.168.0.1-254 && arp -an | grep -v incomplete


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org