Old 12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Steve Campbell

Default Expandable network storage

I want to thank everyone who has provided insight into my thread about
clustering MySql. I kind of just sat back and watched it develop. I
learned a lot from it all.

I have been reading all of the documentation on clustering provided by
Centos/Red Hat, and find I travel in circles. I read one chapter and
answer a self-imposed question but I end up asking myself another.

What I really want to do is have HA for any service I run (which is
mostly HTTP, MySQL, FTP, and the common things like that). I want to run
that to redundant storage somewhere that is real easy to expand by just
adding more hardware (server or disk drive).

I started exploring this by using the Cluster Suite as a base and then
looked into each aspect of the cluster and invariably got stuck on the
storage side of this. I see how I can maybe set this up originally, but
the expansion just doesn't seem to be there. I don't really want to go
the route of Fibre channels and ISCSI, and would prefer to use common
hardware (which sort of suggests GNBD).

If anyone cares to offer suggestions, with a pretty clear explanation
trail (thanks Ken Price for your link to a step-by-step), I would really
like to see it, as I'm not getting anywhere with the documentation. I
hope to get some hardware to play with shortly, and maybe that'll make
things clearer.

I'm sure it one of those deals where once I get it done, it'll be so
obvious. I just need a little kickstart to help me get there.

Thanks,

Steve Campbell

Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Jure Pečar

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:51:32 -0500
Steve Campbell <campbell@cnpapers.com> wrote:

> I don't really want to go
> the route of Fibre channels and ISCSI, and would prefer to use common
> hardware (which sort of suggests GNBD).

Also take a look at ATA over Ethernet (aoe), either from coraid.com or
roll-your-own with small aoe "server" called vblade.

Much simpler than iSCSI, but works on layer2, so no routing. Performance is
about the same as you'd expect from old 1gbit fibrechannel.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/